Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Need some reassurance on MMR side effects to put my mind at rest!

(9 Posts)
Jen1978 Sun 31-Aug-08 20:57:06

Paronoid mum coming up..........!
DS1 - 15mths had his mmr 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Since last saturday (i.e 6 days later) he has not been right. Over the bank hol he had diarrohea, then on tues he started with a low grade temp which got worse until thurs when it subsided. He has been a prize mega grump, clingy limpet ALL week and has been off his food. Today (sunday) he has got the spots the nurse said might happen.
I knwo all these things suggest the measles part of the vaccine is coming out etc, but I just hadn't expected it to go on for so long, its nearly two weeks now and hes just getting the spots now - although to be fair he has been less grumpy for the last two days, but he is eating less and less.

I am just being paronoid but would like to hear other peoples experiences with the mmr if you can.

Basementbear Sun 31-Aug-08 21:02:41

My DCs are 4.5 and 6.5 but I do remember the nurse saying the symptoms might come out up to 2 weeks afterwards. Mine didn't have any side effects tho, so I can't be any more helpful than that I'm afraid. Have you given him calpol or anything for the temp?

Sawyer64 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:06:18

Diarrhoea etc. seem a little unusual IMO for Post MMR symptoms.

Does seem a little prolonged. Maybe he has had a virus at the same time?

Most people IME don't seem to notice much change in the 7-14 day timespan,maybe a slight rash,and feeling under the weather for a day or so.

Jen1978 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:45:57

Yes I gave him nurofen for his temp as that works much better on him for a temp than calpol. His temp has gone now. He is susceptible to getting a runny bum at the slightest provocation so I wasn't surprised, but maybe you are right and it is a virus as well, its more than likely as he seems to be picking up everything atm!

Sawyer64 Mon 01-Sep-08 10:14:01

Hope he's better soon x

zebedee1 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:32:02

Hi Jen,
Hope that your DS is feeling better today.
My DS had his MMR at 13 months (2 months ago) and had exactly the reaction you describe. He started grumping/ temperature/ not eating / runny nappy about 10 days after the jab and it lasted for about a week. I was so worried as the reaction came later than the Dr said it might but he was Ok - no spots though!

Beeper Mon 01-Sep-08 13:33:12

Hmm my DS1 had bad reation and was ill for 10 weeks, he had rashes, low grade fevers, green squits and was very upset. Docs denied any connection, it was 8 years ago. It was the MMR as it started right away. In the end the low grade fevers would not stop coming and I went to a homeopath who anti doted him, he had big pill and had a temp of 102 for 8 hours and the next day woke up perfectly healthy.

Never been near a needle since.

soremummy Mon 01-Sep-08 13:37:52

My dd was like that and had the rash as well took nearly a week for her to be clear of the rash and was very clingy etc

Jen1978 Mon 01-Sep-08 21:56:43

Ooo thanks ever so mcuh guys I feel reassured now that I know other peoples' lo's have been the same. He seems a bit better today and has eaten a little bit more, spots are spreading down his legs and arms and some on his chin - think this is the usual pattern for measles spots so I figure things must be getting better. Fingers crossed!
Beeper - am horrifed by your los' reaction, that must ahve been so awful and I don't blame you for staying away from jabs ever since!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now