Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

can anyone talk me through what happens when a child is sedated for a minor op?

(13 Posts)
misdee Sun 31-Aug-08 20:07:00

dd3 had an incident today with her fingers and a door. her nail beds have detatched and we are due back at hospital tomorrow morning to see the plastics team and get her nail beds re-attached. they will be sedating her. what can i expect please?

kee27 Sun 31-Aug-08 20:47:51

ahhh no exp but all the best luck hope it all gose well and dd3 will soon be rigt as rainx

twistedangel Sun 31-Aug-08 20:56:18

my 7 yr old dd had to be sedated at the dentist to have her tooth pulled last week.

they had the canula in her vein in a matter of seconds, she was out for the count in 12, and the whole procedure took just 5 minutes before they put her into the recovery room.
she was a bit dazed for about 1/2 hour afterwards but then she was absoulutely fine.

i think it's more worrying for us than it is for them.

don't worry, she'll be fine, she wont feel or remember a thing afterwardssmile

misdee Sun 31-Aug-08 21:09:19

thank you. i am really nervous. its an early appointment and hopefully wont be left hanging around for long. local hospital wanted to send her tonight to get it done, which would've been preferrable tbh, but they had an emergency on so couldnt do it.

mckenzie Sun 31-Aug-08 21:13:06

hi missdee, sorry to hear about dd3. When DD (2 at the time) had her op last year (to clear blocked tear ducts) I cuddled her while they held a mask over her face (not tightly against her skin, just hovering above her mouth and nose). She was gonzo within about 15 seconds I think.

And it can't have distressed her too much as she had to have it done again 3 months later and was quite okay about it.

Hope it goes well.

ajandjjmum Sun 31-Aug-08 21:13:46

It will be loads harder for you than your dd. Ds has had loads of surgery starting at 10 weeks, and at least when they're little they don't have the fear that they do when they're older.

Hope you can get some rest tonight - and that it all goes well tomorrow!

Olihan Sun 31-Aug-08 21:24:45

Poor dd3. My friend's Dd was sedated for a tooth op and the anaesthetist told her that if they are upset when they go under then they will be upset when they come round, like wise if they're calm when they go under they'll be fine when they come round.

Just so you're prewarned, in case she is a bit upset. I'm sure she'll be fine though, they're very good at keeping them calm.

Sawyer64 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:34:29

If they give Intravenous Sedation,they will put some "Magic Cream" like Emla on her arm/hand which will numb the area.So when they insert the Cannula,it shouldn't hurt.

If they decide to give her a waft of Anaesthetic Gas,which is unusual as they wouldn't class this as "Sedation" IME,then as previous poster said,she will have a mask and it will be quick.

Sawyer64 Sun 31-Aug-08 21:36:57

Oh yes,and I don't think it'll be her Nail beds they'll "reconnect",more like replace the nails,or remove them if they are still there or partially there,I would imagine.

If they are still there they will go black.

misdee Sun 31-Aug-08 21:36:59

thank you all.

i am now off to bed and to set the alarm for 6.30, so we can leave at 7.30 to get to the hospital in time.

mckenzie Mon 01-Sep-08 07:48:13

I remember now Sawyer64, they also did the magic cream on her hand and inserted the cannula (although I didn't know that's what it was called!). The mask was to sedate her enough to get the cannula inserted.

mckenzie Mon 01-Sep-08 18:39:54

how did it go Misdee?

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 21:15:29

update here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now