Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scabies

(6 Posts)
hedgehog1979 Fri 29-Aug-08 10:00:42

Help oh wise MNers

Had my sister to visit at the weekend who had a skin infection (told by GP)
Has seen a different GP today and been told that it is actually scabies
She did lots of cuddling, bathing and changing of DS1 (9 weeks).
I have 2 questions

1) what is the incubation period of scabies
2) Other than keeping my eyes open for a rash on his torso is there anything else I should be watching out for?

Thanks

lulalullabye Fri 29-Aug-08 10:04:28

Scabies is very contagious and tends to first present in the webs of the fingers as little scratch type rash. I am not sure of incubation period, but if it definatly is scabies then the chances of ds catching is prob high sad.

Treatment is easy though with a lotion. Maybe ring gp and ask advice, not sure whether you can pre treat ifswim

hedgehog1979 Fri 29-Aug-08 11:24:43

OK have just checked NHS direct and they say incubation 2 - 6 weeks. Does this mean I have to warn any people with LO that I may have been into contact with it.
Also will it interfere with BF?

Thanks

lulalullabye Fri 29-Aug-08 14:12:17

Not sure about breastfeeding. As for letting everybody know, I don't think there is anything you can do until you know. You can't just stay in for 2 wks just in case. Alos I think it has to be pretty close contact to catch. They don't jump so just skin to skin.

Goodluck.

belgo Fri 29-Aug-08 14:18:28

not much you can do. Scabies usually transfers from holding hands, so usually presents first on the hands.

It's an incredibly itchy rash, on some people the rash is more pronounced then others. It doesn't spread to the face.

Don't know about the breastfeeding.

kee27 Sun 31-Aug-08 00:23:32

my neice had this and i was allway around her she caught it from her dog . and we all was treatd with a lotion which is used to treat nits to but dont worry hun its easley fixed hope u get it sorted any more nfo let me kno w

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now