Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

PLEASE help with NIT problem

(4 Posts)
drivinmecrazy Fri 29-Aug-08 01:30:38

Have never had the little buggers til recently now they don't seem to want to go. Have tried every product on the market. All any one suggests is conditioning and combing. Is this the best way to go?? Am getting desperate as I wanna get rid of them before term starts.

Weegiemum Fri 29-Aug-08 01:40:49

The only thing that has made a difference for us (and we had them for the WHOLE of the last school year) was the utterly fabulous Nitty Gritty Nit comb. Wow it is fab. You can get it on prescription or it cost about £10, but it is the best £10 i ever spent.

I comb kids once a week with it now, (plus tea tree conditioner, I also tie both dds hair back for school and keep ds's short) and since we finally seemed to get rid in the 3rd week of the holidays there has been nothing.

we do a once a week (usually fri night) tea tree condition which is combed through with the NG comb, left on all night and combed again inthe morning.

I also spray their hair with a nit repellent every day before school.

Have you treated yourself? When I found out I had them (yeurrrch) I have also treated dh adn me at the same time every week, adn we have been free since I started doing that.

toodles Fri 29-Aug-08 01:53:57

I found that citricidal worked well for my children. Completely natural therapy.

Here's a link where you can buy it from:

www.elixirhealth.co.uk/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=17

eidsvold Fri 29-Aug-08 03:24:09

Conditioner and combing seems to be the way to go.

I also use a product called quit nits - plait dd1's hair up and give it a spray with this. Every so often wash her hat and give it a regular spray too. Dd1 has not had nits even though we are always getting letters home. Even when I had nits - none of my dds got them!!!

When I wash their hair once/twice a week do the condition and comb too.

spray I use

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now