Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

talk to me about endoscopy

(6 Posts)
NigellaTheOriginal Thu 28-Aug-08 13:03:58

DD has to have one. appointment is not till november.
DD is 10 so able to understand all about what is going on.
unfortunately i'm a nurse and have watched a few (on adults). i say unfortunately because while i know it will be fine and i know risks are minute and i know she needs to have it done, she is my baby and the thought of her having a general anaesthetic and having a hosepipe shoved down her perfect little throat makes me feel sick.

AvenaLife Thu 28-Aug-08 13:06:38

I don't think knowing why makes it any better. I often think it's worse if you know all the facts and what they could find. I worry about ds's minor ailments because of the things I've seen on the wards. It can be really tough as a parent and having to see all this.

NigellaTheOriginal Thu 28-Aug-08 20:25:11

bumpety bump for evening lot. can anyone whos dc had this please reassure me it will be o.k.?

greenandpleasant Thu 28-Aug-08 20:28:18

hello ... sorry I can't help regarding dc having an endoscopy ... I've had one. I had a sedative under which I could have been awake but it completely knocked me out, I knew nothing, felt nothing, no side effects, no pain afterwards.

I had a colonscopy recently and the anaesthetic wasn't as strong and I came to for a short while and that hurt a bit but they put me back under as I was complaining and again while it wasn't great at the time you don't remember the pain and it was more like major discomfort than pain.

I know it's not the same when it is a dc having to go through it but wanted to answer your post.

herbietea Thu 28-Aug-08 20:32:59

Message withdrawn

NigellaTheOriginal Thu 28-Aug-08 21:11:40

thanks. i'm sure she'll be fine. it'll be me that needs the sedation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now