Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HELP Ongoing issue with Toddler poo! Sorry...anyone experienced this?

(24 Posts)
marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 14:44:45

Good grief...never thought I'd be posting a message like this but wondered if anyone else has a baby/child with what the GPs/HVs describe as classic 'toddler diarroeha'...I'm sick of it. Also was concerned because his weight and HEIGHT cut down across 50th - 9th centiles between 10 months and 2 years, although he is now following the 9th curve. (His 12 month old sister is 75th centile for weight and at 9 month check was 91st centile for height!)I'm 5'4 and his Dad is 6'1....anyone experienced this. The poo is consistently light brown, gritty with undigested bits of veg in it mostly and pretty foul smelling...I am awaiting a second paed appointment at my request. During my DSs 10 month - 20 month time he was always sick with virus after virus but (fingers crossed) seems okay now and is always full of energy and life. Any thoughts welcomed.....thanks guys

Raine3 Wed 27-Aug-08 14:57:25

Hi, my DS in just below 50th for weight and on the 95th for height ... and can't go ! wink

Fiber is good at solidifying poo (we tend to think it just empties you out) and so is plenty of water, and neither will do him any harm. x

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 15:03:55

Thanks Raine3...but he does actually eat a fairly well balanced diet...so I'm just kind of desperately trying to find ways of bunging him up (as it were)...and I'm worried that he may not be absorbing nutrients effectively although this is purely Mothers worried speculation!

stretchmarkqueen Wed 27-Aug-08 15:38:23

Ha! Found it! Searched for you from the "clique" thread!

My 3 yr dd STILL has this sad, can't talk now but will post later on!

FluffyMummy123 Wed 27-Aug-08 15:39:49

Message withdrawn

stretchmarkqueen Wed 27-Aug-08 15:43:39

Right, just a quick one!!

DD has been having loose stools(!) for 15 months, was diagnosed as toddler diarrhea(sp?), but after cutting out juice, blah etc... she still has it. We cut out all milk and milk products and it improved slightly.

She was doing 4-6 loose stools a day, that reduced to about 3. Under paeds now.

sorry gotta go!!

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 15:45:40

Thanks SMQ

iCod - only about 12 ozs per day plus in cereal but we've tried Soya alternatives and the problem seems to be just the same...!

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 15:49:23

SMQ - did this affect her weight gain and stature? DS has about 3 loose stools per day...don't get me wrong, DS not tiny but not much bigger than his 12 month old sister, although she's tall for her age....as Soya not helping Doc advised to put back on to milk products...he also has pimply rash under the skin on his arms and eczma type rashes on face....

mankymummy Wed 27-Aug-08 15:52:11

try goats milk instead, soya can cause as many problems as cows according to my paed. HTH. DS had probs with loose bowels and eczema and cold type symptoms, all cleared by switching to goats.

Mamazon Wed 27-Aug-08 15:54:37

give him some flat cola.

Ds had similar for months. we were advised to try this and although it sounded barking e were desperate so did it.
he was cured within 24 hours.

stretchmarkqueen Wed 27-Aug-08 15:55:46

Agree with mankymummy re. soya.

dd is quite large for her age, tall and a bit chunky!! but when she was born she didn't grow very quickly. It was only when about 8 months that she started to pudding out., not sure if that helps?? Could it be gluten intolerance?

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 15:55:52

Really MM? That's very interesting...do you have it on prescription or just get it locally? (i/e if so, which brand were you rec. to get etc.) Was you DS affected in terms of weight gain etc.?

FabioTheFlouncingCat Wed 27-Aug-08 15:56:55

Do you keep a food diary?
YOu could try cutting various things out/down to see if it makes a difference.

How old is he,is he potty trained?

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 16:00:02

He's 2 Fabio...not potty trained
and we have tried cutting milk products out to no avail

I am just keeping a food diary and stool diary (!) so I am armed with all the information when I meet the Consultant...

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 16:04:50

Flat Coke interesting Mamazon - but could it cure 14 months worth of diarroeha??? don't know...and wondering about gluten SMQ but without the test don't really want to start taking it out of diet...GP advises on testing first...

FabioTheFlouncingCat Wed 27-Aug-08 16:09:54

My friend's dd had toddler diarrhea only when in nappies - she was fine in pants.

This could be a v messy experiment, however.

good idea bout the poo diary

Does he drink a lot of water/juice?

stretchmarkqueen Wed 27-Aug-08 16:12:05

Agree with messy experiment!! shock

I have tried and failed to potty train my dd for 1 year now.
<gives up.>
<buys shares in supersize nappies!>
grin

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 16:18:02

He drinks alot of juice...(ribena-heavily diluted) because he was rather rubbish at drinking water. Wonder what made the difference bewteen pants and nappies for your friends dd?

tumteetum Wed 27-Aug-08 16:18:32

Dropping centile lines can be normal as long as now roughly following line. Toddler diarrhoea common, gets better as gut matures. Also better if you give high fat diet so lots of cheese, icecream etc

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 16:22:17

Are you involved in childcare Tumteetum? HV ?

marymungoandmidge Wed 27-Aug-08 16:23:33

Going off line for a bit - speak later x thanks so far to all of you

tumteetum Wed 27-Aug-08 16:27:01

Wouldn't admit to being a HV on MN! I'm a paediatrician

mankymummy Thu 28-Aug-08 12:33:59

goats milk can be bought from any main supermarket in semi skimmed and full fat, not on prescription and i just buy whichever product is there. its a bit more expensive though... around 1.30 a litre but has saved me buckets in eczema cream and tissues !!!

marymungoandmidge Thu 28-Aug-08 14:59:08

thanks MM ... really useful. Will give it a go.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now