Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Roll up and diagnose Flamechick for me - am concerned and baffled!

(49 Posts)
BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 08:42:08

Yesterday morning she came in to me with bright red cheeks. Said she felt hot, so I took her top off and she had red tops of arms and a red "bib". Looked patchy blotchy and was boiling like sunburn.

Originally thought slapped cheek, but it spread across her back during the day. Took her to GP, and she said some random allergic reaction, gave phenergan and hydrocortisone cream.

She has woken up this morning and it stretches down her hands, and is starting to creep over her legs (less dense) down to her feet.

I have just given more phenergan so I can see the effect it has (rather than putting her to bed and seeing her once it has worn off). If it is some random allergy to a bite or something she has ingested, how long would it take to go?

Plus... if she is allergic to the new cat, would it have shown up earlier on (we have had the cat about 10 days). <worried we will have to part with her the cat I mean, not chick... gotta be a last one in, first out thing really hasn't it? wink>

misdee Wed 27-Aug-08 08:43:36

could it be rubella?

could be an allergic reaction.

could also be heat rash. i was sent home repeatadly one summer, even on cool days for heat rash.

JumpingNASWM Wed 27-Aug-08 08:44:16

My money is on the cat....

poor DD

I have no exerperience of this, but is it possible she will 'grow out' of it?

Good luck

x

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 08:46:44

Def not heat rash.

It does look similar to rubella, but she had that as a toddler and has had the mmr so it seems unlikely. There are pics on my profile but they aren't very clear and are from yesterday before it was that bright.

Going to put her in the bath in a min, so if it is something contact-like it should ease it.

Pleeeeeeeeease don't say it is the cat. Both me and the kids will be devastated

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 08:47:11

She can't live like this whilst she grows out of it

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 27-Aug-08 08:50:40

It does look like rubella. If she hasn't been in any contact with it (and if you think that the toddler diagnosis was correct) it's very unlikely though. Perhaps a mild non-specific viral rash?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 27-Aug-08 08:50:53

I think its probably an allergic reaction to the pox she had.
Hope she feels better soon

misdee Wed 27-Aug-08 08:52:31

i caught rubella with out finding out who i caught it from.

doggiesayswoof Wed 27-Aug-08 08:57:33

She could have developed a reaction to the cat after 10 days. BUT ime she would also have itchy eyes etc if a cat allergy.

I think viral rash thing too, same as jimjams.

Hope it goes away soon.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 27-Aug-08 08:58:10

Oh it can happen misdee- I just think its unlikely if she's already had it (I wouldn't pay much attention to MMR status- the rubella jab isn't that great iyswim- but having had it once should be enough). But if she knew she'd been exposed then my money would be on rubella iyswim. Especially with the rash moving downwards.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 27-Aug-08 08:59:31

BUt if she's definitely already had it then I'd go with some non-specific viral rash and not worry about quarantining her.

misdee Wed 27-Aug-08 09:00:51

the puics look like me at age 10 lol.

did flamechick get it as a toddler then?

i have lifelong immunity thank goodness, but i know that not everyone does once they catch things like this. my uncle caught chicken pox many times.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 27-Aug-08 09:02:57

yeah the pics do look like ds1 when he had it too.

I would keep away from anyone who might be pregnant just in case in your shoes Blueberry - even with previous rubella and MMR.

misdee Wed 27-Aug-08 09:04:12

cat allergies tend to involve streaming eyes and snotty noses as well.

EustaciaVye Wed 27-Aug-08 09:06:21

Looks like rubella to me. Could it have been a viral rash when she was little?

Does she still have a high temp?

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 09:11:16

Liking the sounds of non-streaming eyes.

Rubella as a toddler looked exactly like this. My doctors are fabulous with any hint of rubella "No, we don't have that any more" hmm With DS he had been in contact with a child diagnosed with rubella, he had perfect symptoms, but no, apparently as we don't have it any more, there was no need to contact CDC, but to keep him away from pregnant women "just in case".

I'm gonna take her back to the doctor I think. I'm not convinced by this whole allergy thing. Surely it would have gone down not gotten worse if it was an allergy from ingestion or a bite?

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 09:12:30

She has no temp btw, just the rash itself is boiling

LackaDAISYcal Wed 27-Aug-08 09:27:19

I've never seen a cat allergy manifest itself like that before BB. Usually it's sneezes, sniffles and puffiness.

If it's gotten worse overnight I would get her back to the GP today.

IllegallyBrunette Wed 27-Aug-08 09:32:24

It looks similar to a rash that Ds had once and the gp said it was an allegic reaction to a virus.

His rash was slightly darker than in your pics, but it was lacey and mainly on face, arms, chest and top of legs. It would go away and then come back with avengance.

He had it for about 3 weeks in total, which the gp said was normal.

IllegallyBrunette Wed 27-Aug-08 09:32:46

Ds also had no temp or other signs of illness.

FabioTheFlouncingCat Wed 27-Aug-08 09:39:54

Scarlet fever?

Doesn't sound very likely but might be worth asking dr.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 27-Aug-08 09:45:36

i was thinking scarletina as well fabio

If it is, a simple swab and some ABs should sort her out.

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 09:51:58

See, we thought DH had scarlet fever 10 days ago , dr eventually diagnosed as "unknown virus".

She has just had a bath and complained it stung, so gave her a quick wash and got her out again. Phenergan doesn't seem to have done anything much bar making it slightly less itchy.

I am waiting for a dr to call me. DH was wanting to leave it til tomorrow hmm, I was wanting her seen today, so we decided the compromise was to have a phonecall and the dr can decide if we take her in.

I just need her well by Tuesday - an AS child not being there for the first day of a new school year hmm there will be hell for months

LackaDAISYcal Wed 27-Aug-08 10:17:49

I was just thinking didn't your DH have something similar recently.

If it is scarletina/scarlet fever she can be back at school five days after starting ABs, so you need to get this bottomed out asap if she has any chance of being at school on Monday.

BlueberryBeret Wed 27-Aug-08 10:35:11

still waiting for the call

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now