Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

any opticians around or anyone with vision knowledge?, i have a question...

(8 Posts)
lucykate Tue 26-Aug-08 22:56:55

is there a website at all where you can type in the glasses prescription and it will show you what the vision is like without glasses?

i would love to be able to see what dd can see. she's badly long sighted, has astigmatism, a squint, and double vision without glasses. it would be really useful to understand a bit more about her vision problems.

have googled but so far come up blank.

IdrisTheDragon Tue 26-Aug-08 22:58:51

That would be an interesting site - not sure it does exist though

Califrau Tue 26-Aug-08 22:58:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DontNeedAnything Tue 26-Aug-08 23:00:34

Another one who thinks that it could be interesting....

theSuburbanDryad Tue 26-Aug-08 23:01:19

Not sure about a website, but if you go to her optician's (assuming it isn't massive Specsaver's supermarket type place) they will gladly show you. Dh has had +10.00 lenses in the trial frames, so he can see as I see without my specs, and it was useful because it meant he knew why i was so useless in the night when i didn't have my specs on! wink

I think it's a really good idea that you see what she can (or can't wink) see. Will help you be more sympathetic perhaps. Having poor sight - although not life threatening - can be extremely debilitating at times.

nannynick Tue 26-Aug-08 23:37:25

Vision Express has a LensDemo but that isn't the same as what you propose.

I'm not sure technically how it would be possible to create something that would accept any prescription and translate that into showing what that eye is actually seeing.
Like the idea though smile

theSuburbanDryad Tue 26-Aug-08 23:41:19

nannynick - it could be done very easily, but the assumption would have to be that the person using the demo was seeing "normally" (ie 6/6 vision) when they used it.

For example - my prescription is a -10.00 (ish), so for you to understand what it's like for me without my specs, you'd need to look through a +10.00 lens.

lucykate Wed 27-Aug-08 20:04:10

bumping for evening crowd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now