Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh no. I SO get worst mother of the week if not year award. I nearly didn't take her to A&E and she's got a fractured arm, she's only a baby :-(

(48 Posts)
Thomcat Tue 26-Aug-08 20:46:31

Oh I feel so, so dreadful.

I was umming and arring, wondering if it was worth a trip to A&E, posted on here about it this morning, knew in my heart I should just get it checked out. Pooteled up there this afternoon.

Got there and the doctor looked at her, pulled her arm, felt a little pop, thought that was it and said give it 10 mins see how she got on but he was pretty confident he'd sorted the problem.

10 mins later she was still crawling using the flat of her arm on her right hand side. Doctor couldn't understand it. Said there was something wrong but couldn't understand what it could be.

Took hr blood, temperature then sent her for x-rays.

Turns out to be a fracture. shock sad

Woman doing x-ray and pediatrician were amazed.

Said she must have a really high pain threshold.

She cried a bit as they were really manipulating her arm but very soon got over it.

She made no fuss. She was just amazing.

She's only just turned 11 months.

She's been crawling in this odd way since Sunday. sad

Oh I feel like the worst mother in the world.

We went out for the day yesterday to a safari park so she was in her car seat for a lot of the day or on my lap. She was banging on the window at the lions etc. She seemed fine other than her odd crawl. But she wasn't fine, she was all broken!

Now she's in a cast from the top of her arm to her fingers.

She's so great and brave and I'm stupidly laid back and crap!

Wilkiepedia Tue 26-Aug-08 20:49:50

Don't beat yourself up. These things happen and you DID get her to hospital. Even the dr didn't think there was anything wrong!!

FWIW - I have the worst mother of the year award (you ain't stealing my crown) involving DS (19mo) swallowing floor cleaner, falling top to bottom downstairs and toppling head first out of trolly onto his head...

Big hugs, don't worry too much, just look after her as you are doing!!!

Habbibu Tue 26-Aug-08 20:49:53

what a tough cookie! poor you too, thomcat - don't beat yourself up.

BirdyArms Tue 26-Aug-08 20:50:52

Stop beating yourself up! How could you have known. What a brave little girl you've got!

PortAndLemon Tue 26-Aug-08 20:51:25

Experts in broken arms didn't realise the arm was broken; I don't think you can berate yourself that you didn't. You realised there was something wrong, even if it took you a while to be sure. That's not crap.

Tangentially, however did she get to be 11 months? Surely she was only born a little while ago [shocked at passage of time emoticon]?

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 26-Aug-08 20:51:34

don't be so hard on yourself Thomcat..hope it heals up v soon !

SorenLorensen Tue 26-Aug-08 20:52:08

You are so far from being a terrible mother it's laughable. She's fine - any one of us could have made the same decision - and A&E could just have easily said "oh, it's nothing, she's just bruised it." 99 times out of a 100 it is nothing! Do you have X-ray eyes? No? Then stop beating yourself up about it smile Take lots of photos to tell her all about it when she's bigger.

morocco Tue 26-Aug-08 20:52:18

poor you and poor her. hope she is one the mend soon

roisin Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:04

Oh bless! Where is the fracture?

When we were camping a few years ago ds2 fell in the playground early evening and was moaning a bit, I wasn't overly sympathetic and tucked him up in bed.

At around 1.30 am (lying on the ground) I realised something was seriously wrong sad

Lizzylou Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:47

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself, she was OK, how were you to know?
She sounds fab, what a tough cookie.

misdee Tue 26-Aug-08 20:53:59

you are NOT crap. a crap mum wouldnt have taken her at all!!!

and i do hope you know that two nursersies, myself and dh missed dd2 dislocated thumb for a whole day! she also has hig h pain threshold, and was at a age when she should;ve told someone but didnt. the doc was amazed at a+e by her as well.

BaDaBing Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:08

The fact you feel awful about it shows you are most definately not a crap mother! Poor dd, but sounds like she is a little trooper.

Saturn74 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:08

Hope she's all mended soon, TC.

Don't feel bad - DS2 hurt his arm when clambering over rocks with his friends, and I told him to get back up there and keep climbing.

The next day an x-ray showed that his wrist was broken.
And he was moaning about it hurting.
And he was 9 years old, so able to tell me that it was hurting.

Your little one showed no signs.

<<wrestles award from TC>>

MmeLindt Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:15

Poor wee soul. Some children seem to have a very high pain threshold.

If the doc did not realise the arm was broken, how were you supposed to know? Don't blame yourself.

Thomcat Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:20

Thank you all for being so lovely.
Have tears streaming.

She made me so proud, being so brave, smiling through it all, being cute and so good and barely crying.

<sigh>

Will take lots of pictures yes smile

wilkos Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:28

well i almost cut the top off my 12 month old dd's finger yesterday when i was trying to trim her nails.

I am never doing that job again, dh can do it in future (shudder emoticon)

wilkos Tue 26-Aug-08 20:57:32

well i almost cut the top off my 12 month old dd's finger yesterday when i was trying to trim her nails.

I am never doing that job again, dh can do it in future (shudder emoticon)

msdemeanor Tue 26-Aug-08 20:59:42

ack the hospital doctor didn't know - how could you?
So not a bad mum!

Lizzylou Tue 26-Aug-08 21:00:15

Oh TC, just be proud, not guilty.
If she was in constant pain, you would have known about it!
Extra hugs for TC's brave little girl x

bodiddly Tue 26-Aug-08 21:01:16

I am going through this at the moment with my ds. He fell on Sunday and we took him to A&E on Monday (crap mum left it nearly 24 hours!) but after being x-rayed they said they couldnt find anything wrong but that they were convinced there was a problem as he was holding it strangely and was too young to fake it. The fact that he was screaming the place down probably didnt help in their examination so we have to go back to the fractures clinic tomorrow morning to see what is going on. He can't use it at all!
I wish he was an angel like yours .. I think they sent him home after the 3 hours of screaming because they couldn't stand the noise! I can't wait for tomorrow's installment. You should be proud of her being so brave.

yousaidit Tue 26-Aug-08 21:02:25

You are NOT a crap mum! My lovely dd broke her leg about 3 month ago, and i was just going to try for a doctors app as there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her leg!! blush but thought since it was middle of day a&e would be quiet so up we popped and later out we popped with a full length cast on her leg with dinosaurs on! (we've kept the pot!) we referred to it as her 'magic sck' and it didn't bother dd a bit. My heart broke and i can sympathise because you do feel absolutely terrible, but these mini beings do suprise you with how they like to just get on with things!!! I was gutted, though, when her pot came off, as the lovely lady who was using the (very small andsafe) saw did say that there was no way roulnd the noise and it would scare dd, and dd was literally trembling with fear while sobbing, i was nearly in tears but didn't want to upset dd more, so a word odf advice is take you dd's favourite biscuit or treat with you when you get cast off to ram in their hand / mouth as soon as pot comes off!!!!

Marina Tue 26-Aug-08 21:04:58

TC, the best mum I know in RL sent her much older and talking dd to school with Calpol, a pep talk and what turned out to be a greenstick fractured wrist. She was mortified too and the disadvantage of this scenario was that her scamp of a dd knew it and cashed in big time wink
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but babies have such rubbery bones it is VERY common for breaks to be missed initially, even by health professionals.
Sending you a cheery <hug> and a reminder that you are a great mum, not a bad one.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 21:06:15

Things happen TC and your not at all worst mother of the week, as you didn't ignore DD3's pain as she wasn't showing any, how is she crawling now?

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 21:07:56

BoD hope you get a diagnosis soon

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:22

Awww bless the brave little poppet.

<<breathes sigh of relief that she advised a trip to A&E this morning>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now