Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox vaccine-am i a neurotic mother?

(7 Posts)
muffinmum Tue 26-Aug-08 16:20:52

DD is 2.5yrs old and all her friends have had chickenpox,i do not know how she hasnt caught it already.i am seriously considering the chicken pox vaccine as DD has horrendous ear infections,if another child is a bit snotty for a few days DD will get perforated ear drums both sides.We see a paediatric ent consultant for this when necessary.

We have had no perforated ears since Easter and i just cant bear the aftermath of the chickenpox cos the spots will be in her ears/throat etc.i do tend towards the neurotic tho,usually well balanced by my husband and dad (a GP). I dont have zilch medical knowledge as am a vet but it seems very hard to make this decision when i feel so emotional about it.

Has anyone had the chicken pox vacc, they give it routinely in America,or what are your strongly against it feelings?

McDreamy Tue 26-Aug-08 16:38:57

My children have had it. It's routine here in Cyprus too. I don't feel very neurotic smile

Basementbear Tue 26-Aug-08 16:46:20

No idea why it isn't given routinely in the UK, but why do you imagine that your DD will get it so badly anyway? My DCs both had it very mildly, lots of spots but no fever or itching and didn't even seem ill (was a pain trying to keep them away from everyone else for 2 weeks when sun was shining and they were full of energy!).

What do your DH and Dad think? If it really bothers you, then have the vaccine and stop worrying!! smile

shubiedoo Tue 26-Aug-08 16:49:43

More complications can arise with chicken pox than with mumps or measles apparently. The two week thing is annoying too. I had horrible chicken pox when I was 9, I remember the itching and soreness. Get her vaxed!

JuneBugJen Tue 26-Aug-08 16:55:27

Its routine in Canada- my dad was going to bring over the vaccine in sept if mine hadnt had it by then.

They DID!

It was awful...dd had it very mildly (had it just been her I would have been very laid back about it) but 6month old ds ended up having a convulsion from the temperature and we ended up in hospital. He was in severe discomfort for days.

on top of that we were in contact with sis in law on day of spots ( she was8 weeks preg after 3 years of trying to get preg) who discovered that she wasnt immune so she freaked out as there is a rare thing you can get with chickpox when preg and had to be pumped full of immunoglobulins.

After all that, I would say have the vaccine if you have it easily available!!

shelleylou Tue 26-Aug-08 17:15:26

I had the chicken pox vaccine as a child TBH i dont remember the immunisation at all and have only found out this year that i had it.

I had the vaccine so chickenpox wasn't brought into the household as the infection could have killed my sister.

muffinmum Tue 26-Aug-08 17:18:55

i feel so relieved after your posts,thank you! it is really the ear complications that arise after that worry me and also that dd has been well for so long.thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now