Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ooh Flamechick looks very pretty colours - think we have slapped cheek!

(19 Posts)
BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 09:42:07

Her cheeks were bright and hot, she said she was hot so I took her top off and her chest and arms are covered too.

Poor kid - only just over chicken pox!

Cappuccino Tue 26-Aug-08 09:44:50

slapped cheek didn't bother my two at all

they just looked pink for a bit

hope it is the same for flamechick

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 26-Aug-08 09:45:17

Have you not had a lurgy in your household at any point over the holidays?!

DumbledoresGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 09:47:11

IME with slapped cheek, only the cheeks are red. Are you sure this is what it is if her chest and arms have a rash too? My sympathies, especially if she has had CP recently too. Look at it this way: she is getting it all over and done with in one go.

Cappuccino Tue 26-Aug-08 09:50:46

oh that's true DG

they do get a matrixy rash but that's not till after the cheek redness has gone ime

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 09:54:52

think we've been ill the entire holiday hmm

Most people are fine with it - I had it very severely as a child and couldn't walk shock

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 09:56:24

waiting for doc to call

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 09:58:13

Looking at this image of it - it is identical, but she has a bib to match the arms

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 09:59:04

shock Looking at this image - it is what DH had last week!!!! Is it possible to have it without the cheeks?? surely that is odd?

DumbledoresGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 10:08:40

Has she had some other viral illness lately? (other than CP). One of mine once came out in a rash similar to that and I was told post-viral rashes were common.

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 10:14:53

Just the pox. She looks more like she is sunburnt than just a rash iyswim. Still waiting for doctor hmm I gotta go to the vet in a min, so DH will be in charge of the phone call

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:46:02

FFS - left DH alone with the phonecall.

He apparently got a moron doctor angry

"Treat as slapped cheek" (based on a mother saying "it looks like sc) "Keep her away from children for 10 days as adults have nearly all had it without knowing"

wtf??? What about pregnant women???? They'll be fine if they fall into the nearly all category I presume??

Some not very clear pics on profile.

The various websites say it is fine to be around people after the rash shows hmm I am still no clearer on wtf to do.

angry

Cappuccino Tue 26-Aug-08 11:51:43

my doc told me dd2 was fine to send to nursery; she said that with slapped cheek, they were no longer contagious after they got the rash

so I'd be a bit hmm about keeping her away from kids for 10 days

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:52:42

Everything he said sounds like crap from the bits I knew in the past/have learnt from google today.

VERY pissed off. Enough to start an AIBU wink

SaintGeorge Tue 26-Aug-08 11:56:15

When was the cp flamey?

Are you sure this isn't just a post-viral reaction?

My boys get either hives or a splattered pinkish rash a few days after any viral illness.

Poor Flamechick, whatever it is.

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 11:57:21

CP was about 10 days ago - it looks too rargh for a viral rash too iyswim. She is glowing and the heat coming off her is incredible

DumbledoresGirl Tue 26-Aug-08 13:16:05

I second Cappuccino re not being infectious once rash shows. I was told the same thing when my son had slapped cheek. School insisted he was sent home although he was not complaining of feeling ill, and the doctor told me he was fine to be back at school, so he went back the very next day!

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 13:20:41

maybe a A&E trip as your getting conflicting advice a pead should know and as she may be contagious they will see her quickly

BlueberryBeret Tue 26-Aug-08 17:33:19

Managed to get seen by an actual dr - she thinks it is a severe allergic reaction shock - says is too bright for slapped cheek. This is why they need to LOOK at children angry

Got strong antihistamine and steroid cream for itching.

No idea what she has reacted to though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now