Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2-yr-old - ankles turning in when walking

(8 Posts)
southutsire Sun 24-Aug-08 17:09:18

I've noticed my 2-year-old walks a bit oddly; he seems to have the same problem I did as a child - ankles turned inwards. I remember wearing wedges which sorted out the problem for me eventually, but how would I go about getting him checked? Is it a health visitor thing or a shoe-fitter thing? Not sure I trust the Clarke's staff to know what they're doing (going on past experience...)

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 17:11:17

does he have flat feet? when he stands can you see his arches?

Your GP should be able to help. Sometimes they correct themselves, ds has insoles for his shoes. His feet are flat and his ankles turn inwards.

southutsire Sun 24-Aug-08 17:13:44

Thanks. Yes he has flat feet - no arches. So you think GP rather than HV?

AvenaLife Sun 24-Aug-08 17:16:14

HV will tell you to see your GP. Ds was refered to orthopedics at the hospital, they arranged for him to have insoles for his shoes. He's not moaned about having achey legs since he's had them smile. He gets through alot of shoes though, his feet make the sides collapse so they don't fit properly after a couple of months.

micku5 Sun 24-Aug-08 17:20:20

My dd2 has this problem. I mentioned it when she had an appointment with her community pediatrician.

An appointment was then made for her to see a physio who has said that as her feet are still growing to leave it for a while but with monitoring. If it gets worse then she will have to start wear wedges/ instep shoes etc.

Elibean Sun 24-Aug-08 20:30:34

Just seen the orthopaedic surgeon (paeds) for same thing in dd2 - one foot mostly. She did a hip xray to check (dd also had uneven creases and was breech) but her hips were ok, its just hypermobile joints....she said nothing was to be done until much later, probably nearer 8 or 10, when insoles might help if there was any pain involved.

Its mostly genetic, dh has the same thing - and has had no problems with it as an adult (so far!).

Elibean Sun 24-Aug-08 20:31:19

dd2 is 21 months, btw

2boys2 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:23:19

hi my ds1 (aged 5yrs) has flat feet and has inner soles in his shoes to correct them. We were advised to just fone the local general hospital and ask to be transfered to the podiatry section.

We do have problems with the fitting of shoes and even with Clarks they get it wrong and advise on shoes that are not suitable.

On the rare occasion that i have had good fitters from there i "store" up their advise for the next shoe fitting time to ensure i am happy with the fit. For example: son measures a 12F on the fancy machine thingy but has to have a 12G to accommate the inner sole in some shoes. ALSO as we learnt to our sons cost - dont get shoes that velcro in a zigzag accross the top of the shoe because the shoe wont have enough velcro to keep it done up and when running it will fall off and my poor boy tripped and smacked his face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now