Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh ffs... 12 month old ds just chewed some catfood, pre-licked by my worm infested kitten <sigh>

(15 Posts)

I fished it out of his mouth before he swallowed any, just obviously there could have been jelly etc that it didn't get out. What's the likelihood he'll get worms, and what should I do?

Typed too fast and made mistakes.

but obviously there could have been jelly etc that I didn't get out of his mouth.

Gah

anyone?

wotulookinat Sat 23-Aug-08 14:23:35

don't do anything. There is a small chance that he could get worms, but it's unlikely. Cross that bridge when, no, if, you come to it.
I'm afraid it's one of those things that kids do! My son regularly manages to find dog biscuits and he's ok. Althoug he has started barking...

kitbit Sat 23-Aug-08 14:35:35

Or you could take him to the chemist and ask for a worm tablet for children just in case, or tell them what happened so that they can advise?

<waves sheepishly at wotulookinat> Hello again, this week just keeps getting better and better hmm lol

Thanks, yeah I might just go and ask the chemist actually, I've got to buy some calpol later anyway. I really don't need him to get worms right now, he has a terribly sore bottom already because he's teething and his poos are really acidic, poor thing.

wotulookinat Sat 23-Aug-08 18:01:23

I recommend teething powder rather than gel smile

ChairmanMiao Sat 23-Aug-08 18:03:15

I'm sure your kitten will be fine.
Please don't worry.

grin

Actually the kitten is in more danger... from ds's flailing limbs and whisker-pulling skills! wink

Asked at the chemists, she said the over the counter stuff was for over-2's only and I would have togo to the doctors if I needed anything for ds. She said it's likely that if he does get worms from this we'll probably start seeing them in nappies etc by tuesday-ish so will make an appointment then if I see any.

Now I face the dilemma of where to put the kittens stuff so this doesn't happen again- not putting the dish on the kitchen countertops, that's disgusting. I've been thanking god all day it was the food dish ds found and not the bleedin' litter tray! shock

AuntieMaggie Sat 23-Aug-08 18:13:49

I wouldn't worry too much unless he actually does get them - how many people do you know that say they used to eat their pets food or chew on toilet brushes and other disgusting stuff when they were babies and they turned out ok?

well, sort of...

That's true. I can remember eating cat food myself when I was an older toddler, I remember it being really yummy, which can't say much for my poor old mum's cooking! lol

Oh, and also, couldn't find any worming stuff for kittens under 1 kilo, and our kitten weighs about as much as a handful of teabags! fuckity-fuck.

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 19:38:18

maybe your vet could give you something for the kitten if you couldn't find anything for one under a kilo?

We're off to Pets at Home tomorrow, I'm sure they'll have kitten worming syrup suitable from birth, not to worry.

megandtyler Mon 25-Aug-08 20:47:28

you can get worming stuff from sainsburys now drontyl or frontline.
The best one i got my kitten was from the vet it went on the back of his neck so i didn't have to struggle to get a tablet down him.
Once treated you'll get loads of wormy poo in the litter tray NICE!!!!!!!

Wags Tue 26-Aug-08 13:12:58

Poor you - kids and animals, fun eh?! I would suggest not leaving food down for the kitten. Sooner you start as well then kitten will get used to eating at certain times then bowl is taken away. Its a better habit to get into, no horrible food/flies around and cat has regular feeding times when it should actually eat better, rather than grazing all day. If you have a shed or something, why not put in a cat flap (one of those ones that only your cat can get into) and make that its food area/litter tray area. Realise that might only be when kitten is outdoors all day, maybe too young at the moment. But def don't leave food down all day. Less worry for you and kitten will be fine with regular meal times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now