Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Stress Incontinence in a 7 year old - Anyone else had this?

(6 Posts)
Slickbird Fri 22-Aug-08 23:32:40

My DD1 is fab, happy, has lots of energy and is exhausting! But since I was pregnant last time (last year) she has started wetting herself when she laughs hard, like, hysterical laughing. She potty trained fine, didn't really have any problems before this time, and I think it may have been initially, physological because although happy, she was concerned about the impact a new sibling was going to have on her life. As it turns out, she loves her sister to bits and it is her that is often the source of the hysterical laughter. The problem is, I don't want to stop her laughing but it seems to have become a habit now. I have taken her to the doctor and he has suggested a trip the hospital as there is a team of people who are good at sorting this - could just be pelvic floor exercises. I have also set up a reward chart, but to be honest, it really seems to just depend whether she's had a good laugh or not. Anyone else ever had this??

Furball Sat 23-Aug-08 06:05:44

yes, my ds also 7 has always been like this. I think with my ds it's because he needs to go and can't be bothered to go, so holds on, then a good belly laugh and he can't help it. We as soon as giggle appear shout 'quick go to the toilet' (which does kill the momoment) which he now generally does and always make him go before going anywhere especially with friends as it has been known to happen whilst out. It's something I've not thought/worried about just thought he had weak control when really, really laughing.

Slickbird Sun 24-Aug-08 10:19:12

Thanks Furball. I wondered if it was that she just hadn't gone too, but we've found it can still happen after she's gone. The thing is I hate having to stop her laughing. She's not done it at school or out so far, it just seems to be her family that cracks her up! Oh well, I'll let you know what the hospital says by way of advice, in case there are any pointers that can help you too. smile

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iuseantiageingstuff Sun 24-Aug-08 10:23:48

my DD was exactly the same and her brothers used to make her laugh on purpose as they found it hysterical.She is eleven today and she still does it occasionally if she hasnt been to the loo for a while but on the whole she is loads better.

Slickbird Sun 24-Aug-08 10:34:26

Thanks, it's good to know that it's not just her, and I'll mention it when we got for the consultation as our doctor said he had never come across it in someone so young and I was a bit worried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now