Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

psycho teething boy??

(7 Posts)
pinkmunkee Fri 22-Aug-08 13:29:25

We've had teeth before, but this is something else!

10mo DS, we're on tooth number 7. 5 and 6 were bad- lots of crying etc that went through many nights. I sometimes managed to help with breast milk, sometimes calpol and although he would wake frequently in the night he did sleep.

This time he just doesn't seem able to settle. In fact, he doesn't seem tired at all. His usual bedtime is 7 and at 9.30 last night I'm walking him round the block in his buggy, rocking and singing and he's sitting bolt upright enjoying the view!

He's also on the verge of walking and is talking continually so there's clearly a lot of brain development going on which may be contributing.

Anyone had a similar experience and have any tips on helping him settle?

Ta!

pinkmunkee Sat 23-Aug-08 21:03:18

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

ranting Sat 23-Aug-08 21:10:30

God am trying to remember, it was a long time ago. Didn't want you to be unanswered.

Umm, maybe he's overtired if he's not sleeping well. Tried teething powders?

Hopefully someone with younger dcs will help soon.

<<Racks brain>>

lucysmam Sat 23-Aug-08 21:55:21

my lo (18mo) has been the same with most of her teeth, I lay with her until she falls asleep when she is teething. She's usually quite lively in bed for 10 -15 minutes and then will just lay with me quietly until she drops off. She wakes in the night as well sometimes so I just lay with her then as well until she falls back to sleep, doesn't usually take that long at that hour.

Maybe give him a warm bath & snuggle up with a book to try and chill him out?

does he sleep during the day at all?? if he does, maybe limit how long he is sleeping for to an hour or so, that way he is knackered at bed time. We stopped giving our lo a nap after 12:30pm and now don't let her sleep more than an hour. So if she's asleep before half 12 she gets an hour & if not then she doesn't get a sleep until bed time. she's usually knackered and if she does wake can't be bothered to move/play up for more than a few minutes.

can't think of anything useful really to offer, think it's just one of those phases they go through as I've walked round the block with a happily 'singing' baby more than once and am sure she'll be at it again soon enough as she's more teeth starting to poke through.

Sorry not to be of more help smile

pinkmunkee Sun 24-Aug-08 21:55:43

Thanks for replying! We do have a very structured night time routine anyway, as sleep has always been a bit of an issue; we do bath and books etc as part of that. Tonight seemed better anyway so hopefully it'll pass soon.

God, I'm tired.

It will pass [hopeful smile]

I am becoming a huge fan of sitting in an armchair in DS's room and telling myself under my breath that him sitting quietly in the cot is a good substitute for sleep.

ranting Sun 24-Aug-08 22:06:40

Oh yes it passes and then you totally forget just what you did/didn't do.

Remember the tiredness though, ohhhh yes I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now