Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Red swollen skin around eyes?

(9 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Fri 22-Aug-08 08:44:52

My DD has woken up with very skin in circles around her red eyes. They are a bit swollen but I don't think they are bothering her. They aren't at all weepy so I don't think its conjunctivitis.

I am taking her to the doctors but wondered if anyone has any ideas. She does have exczma (sp?) but I haven't seen her itching them and the skin doesn't look like her ecxzma does. I thought maybe an allergy but can't think what to.

Thank you

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 14:05:19

It sounds like periorbtal cellulitis and she should see a doctor today as she'll need antibiotics if it is this.

How is she now?

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 14:06:00

periorbital cellulitis. Doh! blush

strawberrycornetto Fri 22-Aug-08 17:50:01

Oh no, the doctor said eczema but now you've worried me! It doesn't look like the eczema she has other places and its not itchy. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it, so to speak and see if it gets worse. Why do these things always happen on bank holiday weekends?!

Do you know whether periorbital cellulits would affect both eyes at the same time?

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 17:50:48

I've seen it affect one. Is the area hot to touch?

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 17:52:27

www.umm.edu/ency/article/000976.htm

I'm looking for a picture.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 17:53:27

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17283.htm

Does it look like this?

strawberrycornetto Fri 22-Aug-08 19:42:50

Thank you AvenaLife. I don't think it is this, the skin doesn't feel at all hot and she feels fine in herself so I think it might just be the excema. I will have another look in the morning to make sure though.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 20:26:15

smile I hope she's feeling better. I'm pleased it doesn't look like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now