Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

She just will NOT poo!

(8 Posts)
izzysauntyclaire Thu 21-Aug-08 21:43:06

Despite having 3 children of my own I am unable to offer my sister any advice about my niece - hoping someone ight be able to help? Since being quite small she has always refused to poo. Health Visitor said quite common, just ignore etc so she did, went back to see GP who referred her to the constipation clinic at the hospital where they prescribed Movicol which softens the poo. She def isn't constipated but will not go and do a proper poo either on toilet or potty. At her last appointment at the clinic, they said when she was potty trained (which she is now) it should sort itself out, it still has not and whenever she needs to poo, she squeezes her legs together and a tiny bit comes out involuntarily, She then asks Mum to wipe her bottom as it is dirty. (I have seen my sister go through a packet of wipes in a day). We have tried everything, being happy when she poos, being sad when she has a dirty bot, stickers, ignoring it, presents etc and this is a last ditch attempt to get some advice from someone who might have dealt with similar. I've read other bits but feel like this isn't your normal my toddler wont poo thing and I can't seem to find any advice anywhere. Thanks a lotx

Tickle Thu 21-Aug-08 21:54:31

Can the GP get her another referral to the constipation clinic? Whether it is physchological or physical it's not good for her poor thing. How old is she now?

Sputnik Thu 21-Aug-08 21:58:52

Your sister has all my sympathies, my DD had problems on and off, and would only poo in a nappy for 1 year after potty training. But I gather your niece won't poo in a nappy either?

Anyway, I remember a thread on here where someone said cranial osteopathy helped with their DD's long-running constipation problems. Will see if I can find it.

izzysauntyclaire Thu 21-Aug-08 22:02:26

She turned 3 in June and her next appointment at the clinic is next month. I just feel a bit useless doing nothing and waiting. It's really starting to get my (usually laid back) sister and her husband down and when I visited last weekend I was shocked at what a palaver they have with her!

Sputnik Thu 21-Aug-08 22:05:46

Here you go

Sputnik Thu 21-Aug-08 22:08:58

Have they tried just stepping back and letting her have a nappy? My DD used to get near hysterical when she needed a poo. When we got her to understand she could ask for a nappy and use that it was fine. We then eventually weaned her out of it.

izzysauntyclaire Thu 21-Aug-08 22:09:33

Ooh yes please, I'm new to this but thankyou so much! She won't poo in a nappy either she used to do exactly the same thing with nappies and it ended up costing her a fortune cos it would take half a dozen nappies with just a tiny bit of poo in that she couldn't keep in cos it was so soft thanks to the medicine. The hospital told her to wean her off it but she's on as high a dose as she ever was! I took my oldest boy for cranial osteopathy when he was a baby and wasn't 100% convinced but I think my sis would give anything a bash!

Sputnik Thu 21-Aug-08 22:19:40

Loads of people on here swear by cranial osteopathy for various things. Worth a try I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now