Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hip surgery

(5 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 21-Aug-08 20:44:14

Message withdrawn

reiver Thu 21-Aug-08 22:59:58

Sorry to hear this, riven. The Steps website www.steps-charity.org.uk has lots of practical advice for things like suitable carseats, clothing & changing. Good luck!

Frizbe Thu 21-Aug-08 23:03:02

US site, but good advice too www.hip-baby.org/

Sorry to hear that she needs surgery, but good that its happening now and not when she's a lot older (says the woman who will need it in a few more years, like her mother and her grandmother, thankfully my dd1 was spotted and sorted in time unlike the rest of our female line!)

sarah293 Fri 22-Aug-08 09:12:47

Message withdrawn

Elibean Sat 23-Aug-08 22:24:52

Hi riven, you posted on my thread a week or so ago (thank you) and I'm sorry your dd is needing hip surgery so soon....had the impression it might not be for a while sad

My dd1's best friend had hip surgery when she was 2. Her Mum says one defo tip is to have a beanbag for her to sit on whilst in the spica - much more comfortable than anything else, as it moulds to the right shape. She also said the worst time of year to be in a spica is during really hot weather - so if your dd's surgery is soon, at least thats one possible bonus.

I logged on to STEPS when thinking dd2 might need surgery, and saw heaps of excellent practical advice about life in a hip spica....products to stop them getting whiffy or uncomfortable, car seats that work, clothing, dealing with the op bit, etc.

And there was a Swedish lady with a 4 yr old who had just had the operation, IIRC, its not all babies by any means.

If your dd is a medium sized 4 yr old, there might be a suitable buggy you can use instead of her wheelchair, for the duration?? Again, try STEPS message board!

Wishing you and your dd loads of luck, any idea when her op is scheduled for?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: