Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dS, 16 mo just fell down stairs

(17 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:29:37

tumbled and i caught him about half way down. cried but not his scary high pitched shriek. am feeding him now. don't think hes hurt just shocked. A&E or not?

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:32:22

Hecate Thu 21-Aug-08 17:33:08

Did he hit his head?

General rule - if in doubt, there's no doubt. Nobody would criticise you for taking him to doctor to get him checked over for your peace of mind. (either A&E or do they do an out of hours at the surgery, or is there a centre like in some areas?)

SaintGeorge Thu 21-Aug-08 17:33:13

I would be inclined to just observe carefully.

Kids bounce very well, they tend to be relaxed as they fall. Damn good at scaring the crap out of us in the process though.

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:35:27

tbh hecate i do think he's fine but i'm worried now im being a bit too relaxed

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:36:13

hes falling asleep as i feed, which i expected him to do when i fed him an hour ago, he was exhausted
do i try to keep him awake?

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:37:15

he tumbled on thick carpet and i caught him halfway down...semms similr to me to tumbling down his slide in the garden (bit further but still)

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:37:29

i'm so stupid!

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:40:29

seems to be feeding normally doing his "well i'm exhausted but maybe just a little more..."

thornrose Thu 21-Aug-08 17:42:19

I recently attended a first aid course and instructor addressed this issue and said it's a bit of a myth. It's ok for a young child who has had a fall and cried a lot to want to go to sleep, and not to keep them awake. Being unusually drowsy and lethargic in a way that is alarming is obviously something completely different. I would keep an eye on him like everyone else said though!

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:43:44

n1 thank you
he didnt cry loads, and as i said he hasnt slep much today and so i expected him to sleep an hour ago!
will keep a close eye on him...think he will be sleeping with me tonight!!

SaintGeorge Thu 21-Aug-08 17:43:49

No you don't have to keep him awake, especially if he was due a sleep anyway.

Check him occasionally to make sure he is rousable (tickle his foot, make sure he reacts, doesn't have to wake up completely).

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:44:40

thanks
that's the last time i dust the banisters!

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 17:59:19

a bit of choc and a sock on my head and he's smiled

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 18:07:56

He sounds fine

Mine went all the way down, no carpet just wood...he was 11mo.

He had a big bump and I took him in but though they were concerned at first (he had scraped nose/forehead sad) they said he was fine and sent us home.

I had the same thing, felt he was prob Ok, then worried I was being stupid and too laid back...trip to A&E not fun though!

StealthPolarBear Thu 21-Aug-08 18:35:51

Glad your LO was fine.
Well mine has just tripped over my foot and crashed headfirst into his highchair! Has a little scrape on his head. Definitely not taking him to A&E now, I'll probably get him taken off me wink
He screamed harder at the high chair thing but is fine now and chattering away

Flightlite Thu 21-Aug-08 18:43:24

That's good that he seems back to normal! They are pretty tough little chaps I think.
You would soon know if anything was up I think. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now