Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ds has something on his gum

(11 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Sun 17-Aug-08 08:50:22

He was complaining of his tooth hurting whilst eating toast this morning, and according to dd1 he also complained when eating at his dads yesterday.

I had a look and he has a little pale bubble on his gum between two of his teeth.

Is it an abcess ?? It only seems to hurt when he is eating. He doesn't mention it otherwise.

He is 5 by the way.

Ceolas Sun 17-Aug-08 08:54:40

Is it a new tooth?

My DD had something similar when one of her molars was erupting. I took her to the dentist who said it was very common. I think she had to drain it (just pressed it gently) but it never caused any more bother after that.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 17-Aug-08 08:57:25

Hmm not sure, it is between his back two molars.

Notquitegrownup Sun 17-Aug-08 09:03:45

It does sound like the absess my ds2 has had at the moment . . .

IllegallyBrunette Sun 17-Aug-08 09:05:26

sad

Does he need to see a dentist then ???

I always thought an abcess was painful all the time not just when someone ate something, but I have never had one so am possibly talking rubbish LOL.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 17-Aug-08 12:32:21

bump

myalias Sun 17-Aug-08 12:43:51

You do need to take him to the dentist.
My ds had an abcess on our 2 week holiday abroad last year. A few hours before we were due to fly back he was in alot of pain and he felt sick. When we went to the dentist the next day ds had an abcess and had to have the tooth out sad

IllegallyBrunette Sun 17-Aug-08 13:01:13

OMG will he need the tooth out then ??

Have just had another look and the swelling has gone down alot and there is now just a little pale pink mark now.

myalias Sun 17-Aug-08 13:07:33

An abscess can flare up and disappear my ds was a worse case scenario but it's just best to go to get it checked out.

IllegallyBrunette Sun 17-Aug-08 13:12:27

Thanks smile

MegGriffin Sun 17-Aug-08 15:25:38

My DD has the same at the moment. We took her to the dentist on Friday and she has a small hole in the tooth which he filled (did not need an anaesthitic) and she is now taking three days of penicillin which is working a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now