Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has a cold and it has coincided with teething, any adivice??

(12 Posts)
DustyTV Fri 15-Aug-08 09:43:50

DD 9mo has a cold, she hasn't slept well for a few nights now and wont nap for long. She is snotty and all croky and coughing. This has coincided with her top teeth coming through. What can I do for her to help her. Is there anything other than calpol and baby nurofen that I can give her??

TIA.

lilymolly Fri 15-Aug-08 09:45:41

Not sure about recent changes to this medicine, but 2 years ago I gave my dd 9 months medised
It includes a decongestant and makes them drowsy helping the snuffles.
But I think they may have changed the advice to not give it to under 2s?

Not sure, but I would still use it for under 2s

RubySlippers Fri 15-Aug-08 09:46:52

get some snuffle babe and olbas oil

put the olbas oil on a hanky in her cot

you can also get plug in vapourisers which are good (IIRC Karvol do one)

lilymolly Fri 15-Aug-08 09:48:09

But not as good as the hard drugs eh ruby wink grin

DustyTV Fri 15-Aug-08 09:56:51

Thanks, can I use the adult olbas oil?

I'll have to dig the vapouriser out, I bought one when DD was a tiny new born with the snuffles.

HensMum Fri 15-Aug-08 10:00:28

I used adult olbas oil on my DS when he was younger than your DD. I think it's fine after 3 months.
You could also try raising the head of the cot.
I also found my son napped better in the buggy when he had a cold - lots of long walks for me! Depends how desperate you for for her to sleep...
Teething granules can help chill them out too. We use the Teetha ones.
Good luck! Just remember it won't last forever!

RiojaLover75 Fri 15-Aug-08 10:04:10

Medised!! All the way!

It's a pain killer and decongestant combined with a mild sedative. Works a treat and EVERYONE gets a decent sleep! grin

tokentotty Fri 15-Aug-08 10:06:02

Medised, raise the head end of the cot a bit, steamer in the room, ashton and parsons teething powders, snuffle babe on chest/behind ears, olbas oil on a muslin tied to the cot....

No, never experienced it...,.grin

DustyTV Fri 15-Aug-08 10:25:24

lol at everyone who say medised grin I've been on their website and they say not to use it for under 2's. I take it this has changed recently then sad Would you still use it for under 2's though??

DustyTV Fri 15-Aug-08 10:46:37

Also can anyone tell me if it's normal for DD to not want to have anything to eat? All she will take if milk and water.

lilymolly Fri 15-Aug-08 12:53:50

They recently changed the guidance on medised.
So YES i would use it.
It is paracetamol so you must only give the correct dose and NOT with calpol as this contains paracetamol also.

Yes also normal for them not to eat too- keep offering milk and water she will be fine

Try not to worry and get some medised.
It does taste foul so your dd may not like it

DustyTV Fri 15-Aug-08 13:26:32

Thanks lillymolly, I will get down to the chemist when my mum gets here and I can get her some medised.

I have tried to get her to eat, I keep offering her different food but she wont take any of it only milk and loads of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now