Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How long a gap does there need to be between antibiotics?

(10 Posts)
charchargabor Thu 14-Aug-08 18:31:40

DD (1) is on penicillin for a throat infection sad She had a dose at 3.45. Do I need to wait for four hours, or can she have another dose less than 4 hours later? Don't want her to go to bed too late as she's exhausted! TIA.

LIZS Thu 14-Aug-08 18:34:20

how often is it prescribed 3 or 4 times a day ? think I'd give her one now and put her to bed.

charchargabor Thu 14-Aug-08 18:41:08

4 times a day. She's not slept well today so is really flagging now. Never seen her this ill sad She's just started walking but she's got a mild ear infection as well so she keeps falling over.

AvenaLife Thu 14-Aug-08 18:44:45

4 times a day would mean a dose every 6 hours. It's a pain! I don't know if it is recommended to have 2 doses close together to prevent waking them up, I had to wake my ds up at 2am to give him his medicine last time he was ill. This was for 10 days!!!!

charchargabor Thu 14-Aug-08 18:49:15

The problem with waking her up is that I have to mix them with yoghurt to get her to take them as she hates the taste and becomes hysterical if I try and give them on their own. I don't think she would take yoghurt in the middle of the night! Poor you Avenalife! DD wakes up about 1000 times a night, anyway, so I wouldn't really notice!

AvenaLife Thu 14-Aug-08 18:55:32

Chances are she'll be so knackered and half asleep she won't notice! Do whatever it takes. They work better when taken at regular intervals though. It's the 4 hourly, one hour before food or on an empty stomach that confused me. hmm I was braindead after a few days of getting up for him that I couldn't remember if i'd given it to him 3 times a day or 4.

ds had penicillin. Nasty tasting stuff. He got use to it after a few days though.

1 dose before breakfast (7am)
1 dose before lunch (1pm)
1 dose before bed (8pm)
1 dose in bed (2am)

Works out okish!

charchargabor Thu 14-Aug-08 19:00:03

I've been giving it 4 hourly, you don't think it's done her any harm do you? I had to give her it last night at half 11 because she slept through a dose and she was hysterical. It took 15 mins to get it down her and then another 15 to calm her down <sigh> This is so bloody hard! She's only ever had colds before and I hate seeing her this bad. Plus she doesn't seem to be getting any better. sad Thanks for your help smile

tiggerlovestobounce Thu 14-Aug-08 19:02:15

The reason for dose spacing is to keep the level in the blood as consistant as possible. Does your DD wake for a feed in the night?

AvenaLife Thu 14-Aug-08 19:04:47

It's OK. I doubt it's done any harm, they only order the poor nurses to give doses at 2am and they know it's not practical for parents to do this so there's some allowances in there. It might take a few days for her to start to recover, take her back to the GP though if you are worried or see no improvement. It's Friday tomorrow so I would go back then rather then leave it over the weekend.

I hope she's feeling better soon though smile.

charchargabor Thu 14-Aug-08 19:26:09

She wakes about 6 times a night, but we cosleep most of the night so I don't normally wake up. Guess I'll have to set an alarm from now on. Why don't the doctors tell you this? angry Hope it still works. Thanks everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now