Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

tooth grinding - ds1's teeth are nearly worn away

(7 Posts)
Dottydot Wed 13-Aug-08 22:13:27

Ds1 grinds his teeth constantly when he's asleep (it's horrible when we share rooms in hotels!) and although we take him to the dentists every 6 months, we're really worried his milk teeth are looking really worn down (and he's not had any wobbly teeth yet (he's 6.6) and I'm wondering if it's because they're stuck fast in his mouth!)

Do you think if we take him to the dentists (which we're going to do anyway) he might suggest a mouthguard for sleeping?

Does anyone else's child use one of these - or will it be something for when he gets his big teeth through?

Overmydeadbody Wed 13-Aug-08 22:14:55

yes they will most probably suggest a mouth guard for sleeping.

I grind my teeth too, and not only when I'm asleep, all the time! I have a mouth guard for night but don't always use it.

Loshad Wed 13-Aug-08 22:16:18

I have a mouthguard but I rarely use it because they are a)not comfortable and b) they stink by the morning, but you might be ablt to persuade a child to wear onewink

Dottydot Wed 13-Aug-08 22:16:23

Thanks for the reply! It's awful to see his teeth - they look really little 'cos there's not a lot of them there.

Sigh. At least ds2 (who shares a room with him) is a heavy sleeper - the noise is a nightmare...

rachelp73 Thu 14-Aug-08 23:34:52

My DS (4) does this too! I only found this out when I let him share my bed as a special treat when DH was away. God, yes, the noise - it sounds like a horse chewing a polo mint!

Does anyone know what causes it? It kind of concerns me that there is something playing on his mind and he's subconsciously stressed during sleep.

EachPeachPearMum Fri 15-Aug-08 12:19:56

DH had a mouthguard for grinding, and it did really help. He has actually stopped doing it now though. Expect lots of pillow drool wink -but they are pretty easy to look after- you soak them in denture fizzy stuff each day- he'll probably enjoy doing this himself at his age.
GL!

Aimsmum Fri 15-Aug-08 12:29:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now