Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

thank god for the NHS!

(16 Posts)
ilovemydog Mon 11-Aug-08 21:44:58

Moan all you want, but this afternoon, got an emergency appointment at the surgery for DD (aged 2) as she was not well and suddenly got a high temperature.

Went to GP who after examining her, called the Children's Hospital and the ambulance where she was rushed in.

She was seen by a consultant upon arrival and monitored by lovely paediatric nurses who manged to it all a bit of a game.

Where else do get such great care? smile

I absolutely don't take it for granted!

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 11-Aug-08 21:46:37

Oh it's so good to hear a positive story.

LynetteScavo Mon 11-Aug-08 21:47:02

And you didn't have to worry about paying for it. smile

ComeOVeneer Mon 11-Aug-08 21:47:24

Sounds great service/level of care. How is she now?

JuneBugJen Mon 11-Aug-08 21:49:42

so glad your dd is well.

And... so glad the NHS care was excellent. All I seem to read on mn is how terrible doctors are and how uncaring nurses can be.

Hurrah for the NHS!

ScottishMummy Mon 11-Aug-08 21:51:48

reassuring that your dd is ok.you must have been so scared

yes NHS is bloody good considering it is free

not perfect all the time either

ilovemydog Mon 11-Aug-08 22:31:25

She's been admitted and breaks my heart that I cannot be with her, but DS is breastfeeding, so DP is with her for the night. sad.

But what was reassuring is that, unlike the US, a decision was made based on clinical need rather than the type of insurance!

Had to laugh though when the GP said that he was calling the ambulance - I was hoping to get some insider knowledge. Nope, they just call 999 like th rest of us....

ScottishMummy Tue 12-Aug-08 14:57:54

ok do take care, hope this resolves speedily.are you alright?

ilovemydog Tue 12-Aug-08 16:50:36

Thanks - she's home smile

Her oxygen levels just crashed, but seemed to improve with steroids and inhaler. Steroids make her a bit hyper. No wonder they ban them for athletes.

Oh, and get this. My GP called me asking about DD and if he could do anything!! shock

ScottishMummy Tue 12-Aug-08 19:19:33

oh that was Very thoughtful!are her Oxygen sats levels back normal range now?

ilovemydog Wed 13-Aug-08 14:26:56

Yup - back in range! smile

Although she's on tons of inhalers, steroids, but she's breathing! I will never take that for granted again!

lindseyfox Thu 14-Aug-08 09:14:20

i am a paediatric nurse so nice to hear a positive story.

mind you have to say never really heard a bad word about childrens wards.

edam Thu 14-Aug-08 09:20:32

Glad to hear she's on the mend. Yes, GPs dial 999, but the call is logged as a GP request therefore urgent, IIRC, rather than the call handler applying a protocol.

ilovemydog Thu 14-Aug-08 09:33:04

They did go through the standard questions, I think, as he got all annoyed and said, 'I'm the doctor - I have requested an ambulance. In my clinical opinion, she needs oxygen, and no, she's not turning bloody blue....'

Suppose it's funny now - it wasn't on Monday!

edam Thu 14-Aug-08 10:00:26

Oh, he must have been VERY wound up at having some call handler questioning his judgement! Honestly, give some people a protocol...

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 14-Aug-08 10:05:57

oh im sorry to hear about your little girl. dont feel guilty about not being with her, she will be having a whale of time as soon as she feels a bit better. trust me, i spent months of my childhood in hospital with asthma as soon as the first tow days passed and the nebuliser kicked in i was off. i must have been the nurses nightmare, there was a young boy the same age as me who also had bad asthma and was frequently in and out of hospital. we drove the nurses barmy by quite literally bouncing off the walls <soft play area>

im quite impressed with nhs too. our a and e for children is meant to be closed but when i called last night for my dd the receptionist said "well it is closed, but of course if a child turns up here she wont be turned away" wink they were brilliant with her and the kids room was still well equipped considering its closed hmm i hope they change thier minds and keep it open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now