Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

has anyone has their DC vaccinated with Dr Richard Halvorsen

(18 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Mon 11-Aug-08 11:42:08

and are you happy with the service provided?

That is it really x

PaddlePig Mon 11-Aug-08 15:59:44

Yup and Yup smile

DD had her measles jab there 1st August. I chose him after reading his book and being impressed with his pro-choice stance and his ability to communicate facts, debunk myths and portray both sides of the coin.

I had already made up my mind that dd wasn't having anything but measles and possibly a HIB booster.

I was actually erring on teh side of her not having the measles either but after a 30min consultion I chose to go with the measles.

I will take her back for a blood test at some point to check her immunity.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

smile

PaddlePig Mon 11-Aug-08 16:04:44

Yup and Yup smile

DD had her measles jab there 1st August. I chose him after reading his book and being impressed with his pro-choice stance and his ability to communicate facts, debunk myths and portray both sides of the coin.

I had already made up my mind that dd wasn't having anything but measles and possibly a HIB booster.

I was actually erring on teh side of her not having the measles either but after a 30min consultion I chose to go with the measles.

I will take her back for a blood test at some point to check her immunity.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

smile

CrushWithEyeliner Mon 11-Aug-08 17:13:58

fantastic - will be back after tea to ask more questions thanks again x

PaddlePig Tue 12-Aug-08 15:45:51

happy to help smile

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 14-Aug-08 11:01:13

Hi PP hope you are still around.

Our situation was that DD had a reaction to a menC jab so we have opted for singles. I take it he will ask about history and the like? Did you find he suggested to you that certain jabs would be apt for your DC? Or would he have warned you if he didn't think it was a good idea? Sorry if that is confusing (v tired this morn!) I hope you understand what I mean...x

PaddlePig Thu 14-Aug-08 13:44:46

Hi

Have you read his book? I would really recommend the book before you see him as it will give you an idea on his stance on vaccination.

Essentially, I gave him the family history I felt was relevent after reading his book and his explanation of each of the vaccines.

My dd reacted to pertussis in 2006. She did have the full course eventually but I delayed till 9m and 12m for the 2nd rounds. He told me that, inadvertantly, I had done the right thing.

My dd is nearly 3yrs and I am sure that is a factor that Halvorsen took into account when giving his advice.

However, in a nutshell, I paid for a consulation and we discussed dd's history and he gave his recommendation on what she should have and what he felt wasn't necessary. He supported my opinion regarding rubella & mumps and he accepted my desire not to overload dd's system with multiple jabs.

I was waivering on measles but he explained that the risk of complication from wild measles was greater than the risk of side effect from the vaccine. On that advice I decided to give dd the measles jab that day.

I felt so much better having spoken to him. I cried outside after giving dd the jab and I worried like mad that night but on the whole I feel better for having done something instead of inaction thru fear.

HTH smile

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 14-Aug-08 15:21:28

It sounds like we have had very similar experiences PP. Thanks again and I will purchase his boo asap x

catweazle Wed 20-Aug-08 16:20:00

We took DD to him on Monday and had a consultation prior to a single measles jab.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 20-Aug-08 16:21:56

If ds2 and ds3 ever do get vaccinated with anything at all it will be by him - or recommended by him. And they won't get vaccinated with anything at all until they've had a consultation with him. Can you tell I trust his judgment? n

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 20-Aug-08 16:23:20

Oh BTW I do know someone he advised not to have the measles jab for the moment- so he really does give individual advice. That's why I trust him.

PaddlePig Wed 20-Aug-08 19:49:23

honestly, I can't speak more highly of him. Very accessable, normal guy who listens and advises calmly and clearly.
Such a change and relief after the dismissive pooh-poohing, pressure and guilt tripping i've experienced previously.

donnie Wed 20-Aug-08 19:52:42

crush - our dds were not vaccinated by him - although they did have separate vaxes but he used to be dh's GP when we lived in Holborn. DH really liked him. We only went to Brakespeare as it is nearer where we currently live.

so my dh would recommend him!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 20-Aug-08 20:03:04

Pity you didn't stay in Holborn donnie - he gives his NHS patients the option of separate jabs for free!

donnie Thu 21-Aug-08 17:02:06

whaaaat?? I did n't know that jimjams - of course we paid through the nose for them! what a decent bloke he is.

PaddlePig Thu 21-Aug-08 17:49:02

good to think that he diverts some of the profits from Babyjabs into subsidizing his nhs patients.
Given his reputation I was happy to pay for peace of mind. I'm incredibly grateful we could manage it altho we're not particularly well off. I feel sorry for those who aren't able to go private.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 21-Aug-08 21:43:41

I think any doc can give the single jabs if they want to- they just have to import them on a named patient basis. He's the only NHS one who will.

PaddlePig Fri 22-Aug-08 10:49:00

yes but you also have to detail the contra-indications that justify the child's having the single shots.
At least that's my understanding of how it works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now