Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vaginal swab for dd... help!

(7 Posts)
Orlando Fri 08-Aug-08 10:40:24

Doctor (stressed and hassled when we saw her the other day) didn't give information much away, and I've just read on the package she gave me that it's supposed to be a 'high vaginal swab'. Does this mean I have to insert the swab stick right up to her cervix? Yikes... seems all wrong...

rebelmum1 Fri 08-Aug-08 10:56:10

I don't understand. Why is this necessary, what is the doctor concerned about?

mosschops30 Fri 08-Aug-08 11:02:56

why would the doctor ask you to do it? Surely a HVS has to be done with the aid of a speculum or it will pick up from the lower part of the vagina

Bumdiddley Fri 08-Aug-08 15:13:07

Oh no no no no. Something does not sound right here.

Why do you need to do it?? Go to a different doctor.

lilymolly Fri 08-Aug-08 15:18:10

need some more info please????

kee27 Fri 08-Aug-08 18:44:43

hi ya hun my dd had to have that done when she kept . getting water infections she was only 3 . but i was not asked to do it my self it was done bye a nurse . who the doctor asked to do it i would not do it my self . as i would be worried i would have hurt her . i think ur docs r so rong in asking u to do a job they should do . i would go bk and ask to see some one els unless u are happy doing it ur self .

Orlando Fri 08-Aug-08 20:34:20

Sorry-- have been away from computer all day, but thanks so much for replies. I rang the nurse after I posted and she talked me through the process, which frankly sounded waaaay outside my comfort zone to conduct on my own child, so I managed to get an appointment with another doctor this afternoon. It was a male doctor, the idea of which dd wasn't v happy about, but in the end he was great and really put her at ease.

Thanks again for responding everyone-- I was in a bit of a panic this morning, so turned straight to mumsnet, though I haven't been on for AGES! Great to find that it's as fantastic as ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now