Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

does bi-carbonate of soda really help chicken pox?

(9 Posts)
choufleur Wed 06-Aug-08 19:31:46

??? Ds is absolutely covered in the pox and am willing to try anything to ease things for him.

thanks

verylapsedrunner Wed 06-Aug-08 19:32:49

Aveeno oatmeal bath or just some oats in a cloth in the bath

funnypeculiar Wed 06-Aug-08 19:34:27

Yup! Mix that into bath plus oats in a muslin/sock/stocking squeezed in the water - more effective than anything else we tried

backintheUK Wed 06-Aug-08 19:35:07

It certainly helped my ds - ages ago now and he was only 10mos old at the time but seem to remember giving him about 3 baths a day in the stuff and was the only time he seemed really comfortable....obv at that time he was also too young for stuff like piriton etc but did that and calamine and also some homeopathic stuff - whilst am a huge sceptic of this stuff I did think it helped and like you was deperate.

Google to see what to use there were 2 recommended and i can't remember them now....

hth

popsycal Wed 06-Aug-08 19:36:21

eurax cream

Shitehawk Wed 06-Aug-08 19:37:19

Oats in the bath is better.

Piriton syrup worked wonders too, and anti-histamine cream on the spots.

choufleur Wed 06-Aug-08 19:41:45

have been using piriton syrup and aquaeous cream with calamine in it. will try the oats tomorrow and bi-carb tomorrow.

can you buy anti-histamine cream for kids over the counter?

thanks all

DillyTanty Wed 06-Aug-08 19:44:57

i used eurax for dd, it was great. it's hydrocortisone and something for the itch. really helped in conjunction with the piriton. you have my sympathies, she was most unhappy with the chickenpops...

choufleur Thu 07-Aug-08 19:02:05

well a combination of all of the above, plus sticking DS in the car at 3am this morning to get him to go back to sleep seems to have worked and his spots are starting to scab over.

thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now