Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice pls from anyone whose children have been prescribed Singulair tablets for asthma.

(15 Posts)
HumphreyPinCushion Tue 05-Aug-08 21:22:37

5mg chewable tablets.

Have you noticed any side effects?

I'd appreciate any info or advice about this medication.

DS2 (10) has just been prescribed it in addition to steroids and other inhalers.

Thanks. smile

HumphreyPinCushion Wed 06-Aug-08 10:51:46

bump

KatyMac Wed 06-Aug-08 10:52:53

dd has been taking it for a while

No obvious side effects

HumphreyPinCushion Wed 06-Aug-08 11:11:29

OK, thanks. smile

TinkerBellesMum Wed 06-Aug-08 11:22:41

Tink loves it, I tell her they're special sweeties and she happily munches away on them. Not had any side effects and she's not been on them long enough to know if they work.

HumphreyPinCushion Wed 06-Aug-08 13:04:42

Thank you. smile

Does anyone else have any experiences of this medication pls?

becaroo Mon 11-Aug-08 15:40:10

Ds has been on the granules for a while - nothing to report.

boohockey Tue 12-Aug-08 15:17:02

my ds (10y/o) had them for about 5 years until we decided he didn't have asthma at all (turned out to be bronchiectasis - damaged lungs, similar symptoms to CF) and he was fine about taking them, no side effects, easy to chew, one of the easier asthma meds to accept I would say!
Hope it makes a difference for your one

WumphreyCushion Wed 20-Aug-08 09:17:07

Thanks for your replies.
DS didn't do so well with them, so I was interested in other people's experiences.

brimfull Wed 20-Aug-08 09:20:15

my ds has been on them for a few yrs,no side effects

singulair has improved his asthma so much

TheMadHouse Wed 20-Aug-08 09:27:56

DS! was prescribes this (not for ashma) and we had to stop as he was a nightmare on them and had some serious side effects.

He was having nightmares
Constantly thirsty
Hyper
Would go into rages

We stopped the medication with the consultants approval and then tried again a month later, but he had the same side effects.

What issues are you having?

WumphreyCushion Wed 20-Aug-08 09:46:24

Thank you, TMH - I'd read that some children react like that.

The tablets were prescribed by the Consultant Paediatrician at the allergy clinic, as DS2's asthma is so unstable at the moment.

But the ones he has been prescribed contain aspartame, and DS2 is allergic to sweeteners.

Little point in giving him a medication to control his allergies, when the medication contains something he is allergic to. sad

So, I haven't given them to him, as he has had behavioural problems and a worsening of his asthma symptoms when he has had sweeteners in the past.

And I'm still waiting for the hospital to call me back from 5th August, when the tablets were prescribed. sad

I'm hoping they are able to give us a version of the medication without aspartame.

norksinmywaistband Wed 20-Aug-08 10:05:20

The singulair granules DS is on ( fantastic change to his asthma with it BTW)
Contains montelukast sodium and mannitol(e421)

Would this form be better.

DS has no problem taking it

norksinmywaistband Wed 20-Aug-08 10:06:22

Just nticd they are from 6M to 5YR and your DS is 10 blush

WumphreyCushion Wed 20-Aug-08 14:22:24

thanks norks.
will speak to the consultant, as that may be a solution if they can adjust the quantity for his age. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now