Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can I have the collected MN wisdom on beads up noses, please?

(29 Posts)
frogs Tue 05-Aug-08 21:12:09

Yes, obviously it's a bad idea, and I would have said so to dd2 (4.5 and old in enough to darn well know better) if I'd had an inkling she was planning to insert a small bead up her nose and take a big sniff.

Anyway, there it is, no longer visible, apparently (she's staying at IL's). She's been to the GP this pm, who didn't seem overly worried, but has told ILs to take her to ENT clinic at the hospital tomorrow.

What is likely to happen next? Torn between wanting to drive two hours down the motorway to cuddle my little baby and wanting to berate her for being such a daft wombat in the first place.

Aaaargggghhh.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 05-Aug-08 21:13:49

I would definitely ensure they take her to the ENT clinic tomorrow. Similar happened to friend's ds. Apparently all can be fine for a few days, then it can cause inflammation a few days later so does need sorting out.

WilfSell Tue 05-Aug-08 21:14:19

My little brother did this years ago. My Dad took him to A&E expecting laser microsurgery.

A very young doctor sucked it out with a drinking straw.

I imagine you might be able to try just raw but gentle sucking without the straw and pressing the other nostril.

Disclaimer: I take NO responsibility for any further damage nor mouthsful of snot if the DIY approach is used.

WilfSell Tue 05-Aug-08 21:15:16

Further disclaimer: yes, probably only really works if the object can be seen...

frogs Tue 05-Aug-08 21:15:36

Teehee, wilfsell, it won't be me sucking it out, it will be uber-fastidious MIL. grin

dinny Tue 05-Aug-08 21:15:38

have you tickled her up the other nostril with a rolled up bit of tissue to make her sneeze?

did that with ds and got a wedged raisin out when he was about 2

Yorkiegirl Tue 05-Aug-08 21:15:40

Message withdrawn

frogs Tue 05-Aug-08 21:16:56

She's been to the GP, so I guess they would have done all the obvious things.

Wretched child/my poor little baby.

Sob.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 21:17:01

my niece did thsi with a small stone about three months ago. a trip to a and e and tyhe doc told my sister to place one finger overthe nostril that wasnt blocked her mouth over nieces mouth and blow hard. the stone came flying out and niece loved all the drama grin

but if that doesnt work definately ent in the morning.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 05-Aug-08 21:17:42

x post with yorkiegirl.

Rowlers Tue 05-Aug-08 21:19:28

Oh cripes.
DD told me she had a tiny bead up her nose a few months ago. I told her to blow her nose and of course she inhaled.
I presumed the thing had fallen out and she hadn't inhaled it at all as I couldn't see it and she said she couldn't feel it.
Do you reckon it's still up there?
I'm worried now.

SorenLorensen Tue 05-Aug-08 21:20:15

I saw this on one of those Going Round a Hospital Grinning At Ill People Gaby Roslin programmes - hold unobstructed nostril shut, cover their mouth with yours (like mouth to mouth) and blow. Though dd/ILs may not want to do this, obviously. On the programme I saw the A&E department had been using this technique with great success (no nasty doctors, no nasty tweezers, Mummy or Daddy can do it so child gets less upset) and it worked for me when ds1 stuck a piece of (cooked) pasta up his nose.

Though recently I read someone advise against this technique on MN - can't remember why though.

Probably not very helpful - sorry, frogs.

PInkyminkyohnooo Tue 05-Aug-08 21:20:22

I'd go to the ENT. We were forever daring my older brother to stick things up his nose-as he could flare his nostrils really wide. The worst was a dried broad bean. Took the dr a while to get it out as it was no-longer visible.. did I say this was myolder brother?

Mercy Tue 05-Aug-08 21:21:53

I've posted about this a few times, so here goes again!!

Dd shoved a piece of gravel up her nose. We took her the GP who referred us to A&E. A&E wanted to refer us to the ENT hospital. We said no.

So the nurse suggested a technique called the parents/parental kiss. Basically you press your finger against the CLEAR nostril to close it and then breathe very hard a few times into the child's mouth. It should then shoot out. Fortunately it did but then again we knew which nostril she'd shoved it up.

Warning: if there is a bead up there it is potentially dangerous as it could fall into the lung rather than down the windpipe and into the stomach.

Olihan Tue 05-Aug-08 21:22:31

DS1 did this with a button a few weeks back. Managed to really wedge it WAY up there. Triage nurse at A&E had a job seeing it so referred us to ENT.

While we were waiting, dh arrived and tickled ds1 who jumped, snorted and promptly swallowed it.

ENT doc did stick the little camera twisty wire gizmo up to double check it had gone but ds1 wasn't too keen on it [understatement] so doc told us to go off and if he started getting any discharge from it, to go back and they'd investigate under a light sedation.

There was no discharge so we assume it's not there anymore.

WilfSell Tue 05-Aug-08 21:22:33

that bloke (comedian) who used to be on with Armando Ianucci had very large nostrils. I used to sit and wonder if he'd ever tried to fit two hazelnuts up there simultaneously.

When I was bored like.

Sorry. Not much help for your poor baby.

grin

SorenLorensen Tue 05-Aug-08 21:26:39

Rowlers, the dd of a friend of my Mum's had a perpetually dripping nose - really nasty looking green snot and her breath absolutely stank so they took her to the GP. It turned out she had something wedged really far up her nostril - she had to have it removed under GA. When they got it out it was a tiny piece of rolled up wallpaper - she'd been shredding it off the wall through the bars of her cot shock They said it had been festering up there for months and had caused the infection. I would have thought if there was something wedged up your dd's nose it would have caused similar irritation by now - but if you're worried take her to the GP.

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 21:29:05

I did this when I was little. Had to get an emergency apt at ENT. Got it out. Then daddy got home from work, and of course I HAD to show him what I had done....

Good Luck.

Rowlers Tue 05-Aug-08 21:34:01

Soren, I wasn't worried until I read this! Had forgotten all about it.
(I know it's not the right response but LOL at wallpaper girl!)

saralou Tue 05-Aug-08 21:38:23

i am expert at removing objects from ds1's nose.... the pinched nose and blow thing works really well.... just cover your cheek 1st!!!!!

Yorkiegirl Tue 05-Aug-08 21:39:38

Message withdrawn

Bink Tue 05-Aug-08 21:46:28

Ah, my earliest memory. It was some kind of seed-pod (conker? no, surely not), I think, and the painful bliss when it finally shot down the nasal tubes ... later rivalled by laughing while eating a cherry tomato (aka "the elephant trick"). I leave you to imagine.

My niece used a bus ticket.

Your dd2 is in good company, you know. And she will be fine, and she won't do it again.

SorenLorensen Tue 05-Aug-08 21:58:56

Conker! Bloody hell, Bink - how big are your nostrils?

I know, Rowlers - it is pretty mad - you try and keep them safe from all potential hazards but worrying off strips of wallpaper and ferreting them away up their noses isn't one the baby books warn you about grin

frogs Tue 05-Aug-08 22:03:28

Thanks guys, I won't have a breakdown just yet then. [wry smile]

She is so the only one of my children who would have done this -- 'What will happen if I poke/pull/push/stick my finger in this?' is her guiding principle.

My little baby. And I can't even hug her/tell her off. Sob.

Gingerbear Tue 05-Aug-08 22:03:50

DD did the same with a bead. A&E doc used a miniature crochet hook to get it out. (We could still see it in her nostril)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now