Talk

Advanced search

Does this umbilical cord look infected (pic included)

(16 Posts)
TheAgeOfAquarius Sat 23-May-20 22:46:37

DS 6 days old. Midwife was out today to take swaps however can take up to 4 days to come back. Oozing has gotten worse since the afternoon and the smell coming from it is awful.

Have called 111 who have advised that as baby has no temp and is taking feeds to leave until tomorrow and try contact midwife unit then. Just wondering if anyone has experienced similar?

DancingWithWillard Sat 23-May-20 22:53:32

It does look a bit funky. If you are breast feeding and have a milk supply then use breast milk to wash it a few times a day, if not possible then boil a pint of water, add a teaspoon of salt and when cooled use this to gently clean the area on every nappy change.

endofthelinefinally Sat 23-May-20 22:55:54

I think you should ring your gp. That looks nasty.
You can't take chances with a tiny baby.

endofthelinefinally Sat 23-May-20 22:58:46

You could ring the post natal ward and speak to a midwife.
I forgot it was weekend.
Lost track with lockdown.

Alpacamabags Sat 23-May-20 23:04:10

I think k it looks okay in the pic but 100% agree any nasty smell or oozing needs urgent investigation

meow1989 Sat 23-May-20 23:05:40

If it stinks I would assume infected. Is the area red or hot to touch? Does baby seem in pain if its touched?

How is baby? Waking for feeds? Easily rousable? Passing urine and stool?

I second the advise to call maternity unit. Make sure to say it's got worse since swab taken despite no temperature and you're worried about how it will be by the morning.

TheAgeOfAquarius Sat 23-May-20 23:07:12

Postnatal ward have advised to call 111 and 111 saying to call the midwife, going round in circles

ParsleyPot Sat 23-May-20 23:10:28

Congrats on lovely new baby. smile

I would seek advice.

In the pic, baby's skin looks quite red. It might be just the lighting maybe though?

Perhaps take temperature again.

TheAgeOfAquarius Sat 23-May-20 23:12:27

@meow1989 area isn't hot to touch and he is waking for feeds, plenty of wet and dirty nappys and still alert x

meow1989 Sat 23-May-20 23:24:26

Super helpful to direct you back and forth!

Who did you call last and when?

If it was 111 call the post natal unit, explain that they weren't helpful but you have concerns about your baby. Ask what they would advise if 111 wont help. Ask them what they would advise if not to come in to be seen - care of area and what to look out for etc.

If it was postnatal call 111 and reexplain, say you're not happy with the cord and ask for an ooh gp appointment or whatever service is appropriate in your area if you are concerned enough to think it warrants being seen tonight.

meow1989 Sat 23-May-20 23:26:22

Sorry that read really bossily! Trust your maternal instinct basically- if you're concerned push for a review. If you think it's ok to wait a bit then make sure to call midwife first thing in the morning.

And congrats by the way. I love it when their little legs are still all curled up like that!

spacepoppers Sat 23-May-20 23:30:38

Starting to look like going down the infected route. Normally I would say get a GP appt, but if it gets any worse than this I'd go to A&E to be honest

hopsalong Sat 23-May-20 23:44:20

Go to pediatric A&E (Google for nearest one) and you'll be seen very quickly given baby's so young. If there's not one nearby I honestly think you should call 999. This looks pretty unpleasant and although chances are small that it will lead to sepsis, your baby needs to be seen and may need antibiotics. Please don't delay.

TheAgeOfAquarius Sun 24-May-20 00:35:02

Thank you so much for your replies, tbh releived to know im not blowing this out of proportion. I called 111 again, was a bit more not taking no for an answer this time round and am currently waiting on a call from ooh with an appointment time to have him checked over.

sestras Sun 24-May-20 01:17:25

My daughters looked like this and the midwife took it off, her had pus in it too.

meow1989 Sun 24-May-20 21:11:53

How is ds @theageofaquarius ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »