Talk

Advanced search

8 year old weight

(13 Posts)
abc123def45 Fri 18-Oct-19 10:24:50

Hi, not really sure what I'm writing but DD often has a bloated stomach (I think caused by not always going to the toilet) and due to the activities she does (wearing leotards) she and I have become aware that she does look bigger than some of the other girls.
DD's not majorly upset about it because when she's not bloated then you can see toned stomach muscles but I was a slightly overweight child and now that she's getting older I want to ensure that she doesn't become slightly overweight like I did.
She's a very active girl, 7.5 hours gymnastics a week, 1 hour running club, 1 hour of dance classes and multiskills after school club (roughly 45 minutes), lives on her trampoline when it's not raining.
Does she seem overweight with these measurements:
8 last month
130cm height
61cm waist (measured first thing in morning a few weeks back so when not bloated)
65lbs

Thanks

hazeyjane Fri 18-Oct-19 10:29:33

She is on the 75th centile for height and weight, so the right weight for her height (IYSWIM!)

Do you know why she gets the bloating? Is it constipation or something she is eating?

Dd2 gets bloating and does farts that are like the devil's own wind!

Buyitinbamboo Fri 18-Oct-19 10:33:24

Sounds more like a bloating issue than over weight. Does it make a difference if you reduce the amount of gluten she eats? And increase fibre.

abc123def45 Fri 18-Oct-19 10:42:29

Hi both,

She does often get constipated and yes she does fart quite badly at times. I've noticed the bloating quite a bit over the last 6 months but not really documented what she's eaten but think I ought to.
She does like food and our portions are probably wrong but going to monitor this.
She's taller than some of the other 8 and 9 year olds in dance, gym and school but seems a bit broader but wears normal size clothes so school uniform 8-9, and gym/dance clothes tend to be 9-10 (prefers slightly loser than tight) and coats 8-9/9-10

MrsKCastle Sun 20-Oct-19 18:21:37

How does she feel in herself, apart from the constipation? That and the bloating make me wonder if there's any digestive issues going 9n, such as coeliac disease. A

minesadecaf Mon 21-Oct-19 19:16:25

My 9yo weighs 4st4lbs and is 145cm

ChanklyBore Mon 21-Oct-19 19:33:06

She does sound very active, so I would imagine would have more muscle which could make her heavier than her contemporaries who don’t have as many active interests. Does she complain of tummy ache?

My DD is 7, not as active (does ballet and football but only 30-45 mins of each in a week, although they do PE and run a daily mile at school) She’s 124cm and 47lb, going into 7-8 clothes.

abc123def45 Tue 22-Oct-19 10:05:11

She does sometimes complain of tummy ache.
Minesadecaf and ChanklyBore when I look at your DD's heights and weight then DD does appear to be quite a bit bigger :-(

hotdog74 Tue 22-Oct-19 10:58:15

I just put the figures from a previous poster up thread (4st 4 and 145cms) into the BMI calculator for children, and for a just turned 9 year old they were on the 1st centile and underweight.

Whilst the OPs daughter does seem to be on the larger size from the figures given, I'm not sure putting underweight figures in a post is particularly helpful.

OP if you're concerned about the bloating, then it might be something that is worth contacting your GP about in case it is something that can be sorted by avoiding certain food. Please don't be worried about the competitive how slim is your child posts though. Also, just try and keep her moving and make good food choices.

Natsku Tue 22-Oct-19 11:02:17

Bloated belly and bad farts sounds like it could be coeliac disease - DD would often suffer from bloated bellies and her farts smelt like death before she was diagnosed.

minesadecaf Tue 22-Oct-19 16:20:05

@hotdog74 my daughter is under consultant care and yes she's tall and slim genetically she is absolutely fine thank you, she has regular checkups and he's deemed her fighting fit.

minesadecaf Tue 22-Oct-19 16:22:08

And she's 4st 11, I was clearly mixing up her lbs with my other daughter.

hotdog74 Wed 23-Oct-19 10:46:36

I'm glad your daughter is fighting fit @minesadecaf, I was merely pointing out to the OP that the original figures you gave were not necessarily a helpful comparison for her to measure her daughter against when they were giving a very low weight for the height given. The new weight given makes a huge difference. my daughter is 4 stone 10 and 140cms and had you given the correct weight originally then I would not have thought that anything unreasonable. Your original data clearly was not helpful for the OP especially as she mentions comparing that to her DD. My post was not intended to be a personal slight on you or your daughter, but to encourage the OP not to take those figures as something to aspire to for her DD.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »