Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Pox Vaccination

(7 Posts)
wineymummy Tue 15-Oct-19 15:26:41

After much umming and ahhing I have just booked DD (2, nearly 3) in for her first chicken pox vaccination. She's in nursery 4 days a week so I have no idea how she has managed to avoid it so far, but everytime I see a suspicious spot I freak out, and just want to get her vaccinated. (I am self employed so can't really afford to take 2 weeks off work when she finally succumbs.)

However have just received my confirmation email from Superdrug and see she has to be clear of pregnant women for 6 weeks. Well, I'm pregnant myself! So does that scupper things entirely?

I will try to contact my GP for advice but am reluctant to waste a GP's time - are there any mumsnetters out there qualified to tell me whether I need to cancel the vaccination? I definitely had chicken pox myself as a child.

Thanks.

(ps. I've done my research and have made the decision to vaccinate - I know there are pro's and con's but I would really only like advice regarding my question instead of whether I should be vaccinating or not.)

INeedNewShoes Tue 15-Oct-19 15:29:27

I am not qualified but I've been reading up on the vaccine recently trying to make a decision on whether DD should have it.

I have read that the vaccine causes them to play host to the virus for a few weeks which is why they mustn't be in contact with pregnant women. I personally wouldn't risk it as the consequences are too nasty.

wineymummy Tue 15-Oct-19 15:47:37

Thank you. I have actually called my GP (I am a patient at a wonderful surgery with super helpful doctors) and the receptionist has left a message for my GP, and told me to phone back in 24 hours for an answer. I'm so lucky to have a good surgery.

If there's any risk at all to the new baby then I will of course cancel...on the other hand, if I'm safe because I had it as a child, then I would rather vaccinate now than risk my older DD bringing it home with a newborn in the house.

Bumpandtoddler Tue 15-Oct-19 20:58:26

If you have had chicken pox before then you will be fine even though you are pregnant smile

2010sll Sat 19-Oct-19 13:40:42

There is a minute risk with all vacinations that the host could pass the virus on but its really minute. Would a mother cancel their other childs MMR jab for example because they were pregnant? Unlikely. Would they if they had cancer and their immunity was shot to peices. Probably more likely as the risk would be higher.

My daughter had the vaccine a few years ago so I have done a huge amount of research. I think you would be fine unless you had never had chicken pox but obviously check with your GP.

Suzie81 Sat 19-Oct-19 17:24:31

I'm going to get this too. Only reason it's not recommended by the NHS is that apparently sick kids give adults that have previously had it an immune boost, and that can prevent shingles.

But it's a herd level consideration that completely ignores individual suffering.

wineymummy Mon 21-Oct-19 12:09:56

Thanks all. GP and midwife have confirmed I am fine and my mum is adamant that I had it as a child, so I should be fine. Glad to hear others have vaccinated/planning to - the nurse at my GP surgery said something along the lines of "well if that's your decision, so be it..." which got me all doubting, but I am sure this is for the best. I can't imagine that Germany and the USA would vaccinate if it wasn't a good idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »