Talk

Advanced search

Infacol safety/suitability... thoughts?

(7 Posts)
danigrace Tue 15-Oct-19 07:11:04

DS2 is 5 weeks today and most nights in the past 2 weeks (2 random nights he's gone to sleep fine) has been inconsolable for an hour in the evening after overall being a really chilled baby the rest of the time. I mentioned it to the health visitor and she recommended Infacol. I already knew after researching when DS1 was born it's proven to be no more effective than placebo but wanted to try something to make me feel less helpless so bought some after speaking to her yesterday and gave it before two feeds (I forgot before others in my overtiredness) and LO was far from impressed with the taste and I felt quite mean but obviously also wanted to help him and telling myself lots of parents do feel it works for them etc.
But on looking up the non active ingredients I don't know how I feel about dosing him all day with artificial sweeteners and E numbers that are banned in foods for under 3's in the UK and banned completely in some other countries... All to deliver something that's quite likely just to make me feel more mentally in control proven to be no more effective than placebo...

Any thoughts??

Stop delirious overthinking and get on with it? Or of course you don't want to give nasties to baby?

Feeling confused and helpless confused

PotteringAlong Tue 15-Oct-19 07:12:14

Did it work for him?

danigrace Tue 15-Oct-19 07:32:00

We're on day 1 with only 2 doses given yesterday so can't really say. But he did settle much better last night than the night before...

PotteringAlong Tue 15-Oct-19 07:34:16

Then I’d go with it. At 5 weeks old I doubt the placebo affect applies - it works or it doesn’t! And if it works for him then great.

Nogodsnomasters Tue 15-Oct-19 10:28:42

Placebos only really work on people who know they're taking something as a "medicine" which a 5 week old would not know. And it's not going to work as a placebo for you because it either calms him or it doesn't, you can't be imagining it.

danigrace Tue 15-Oct-19 21:12:16

Thanks ladies.

It's a question of whether or not they would have been calm regardless - obviously placebo effect can't mentally act upon a 5 week old, but studies show infacol didn't work any better than a fake, as in whether babies were given the real thing or not made no statistically significant difference in parents reporting improvement of symptoms so it could be just good nights and bad nights.

But already knowing that I was still willing to try as to be completely honest if someone told me spin around 3 times and bang your head off the wall and it will help your baby's colic I'd be tempted to try it grin
Was more unsure about the sweeteners and food banned E numbers.

20viona Tue 15-Oct-19 21:22:22

Infacol made my baby constipated so we used dentinox and that worked a treat to get wind up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »