Talk

Advanced search

Post viral maybe?

(4 Posts)
snz92 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:33:00

My 3 year old DS got poorly last sunday high temp last weekend and not feeling himself so took him to the GP they said viral infection and then coughing started back to GP five days later then diagnosed with chest infection given antibiotics (amoxicillin) now we are on 4th day of antibiotics we are on the mend no temperature however slight coughing here and there but now during recovery hes been overly tired NOT MUCH OF A appetite drinking ok but more importantly really tired. I dont know whether that's part of recovery but I am really paranoid. Is there anything anyone can maybe advise?

Nogodsnomasters Mon 14-Oct-19 21:16:16

I suppose you need to compare it with when he was actually sick was the coughing, fever, keeping him up at nights or interrupting his sleep? Was he having normal naps during this time? Because this is probably him catching up now that his cough has eased.

How many days has he been overly tired for so far? When he's not sleeping is he playing, interacting?

snz92 Mon 14-Oct-19 22:16:13

Thank you so much for replying. I would say now its 2 days since being overly tired and he started the antibiotics on Friday, when he isn't tired he is playing and interacting but not for long, goes back to being tired and looks exhausted. He has had a rough week less sleep especially when we took a trip down to the accident and emergency. So maybe you are right about trying to catch up. Maybe I'm just being very paranoid as he is a very active child. I try my best not to Google because it just gives me worst case scenarios. But I'm just going to give him till the end of his antibiotics course and see if any changes and if not then I'll book an appointment with the GP.

Nogodsnomasters Tue 15-Oct-19 07:50:37

I know how you feel, one time my ds was sick and overly tired and I asked the doctor about this and he said when you have an illness do you want to run around or sit on the sofa and rest? So that helped me put things into perspective a bit. I'd try to encourage him to get actual sleep when he looks tired try an hour nap (if he won't go for it, maybe take him for a long drive in his jammies) or try giving him a few early nights where he's asleep for about 30 mins before his normal bed time.

Lack of food during illness will also cause lack of energy as food is what fuels us, but that is also normal to refuse much food during illness, his appetite will slowly build back up. Offer lots of favourite foods.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »