Talk

Advanced search

Infected verruca, really worried

(22 Posts)
dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:31:36

Do you think this is a sign of infection spreading/the start of a red line? DS has had a verruca which today became really painful and was clearly infected (pus, swelling etc). 111 advised to call GP first thing but said based on info provided it could wait till the morning.

I've been checking his foot since he went to bed and it seemed ok, but at the final check before I was heading to bed I checked the top of his foot and noticed an area of redness and what could be the start of a red line, so am really worried the infection is spreading.

Waiting for 111 to call back. Am I worrying needlessly or does he need urgent attention?

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:32:27

Pic hopefully attached

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:34:47

Is anyone still up?

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:40:00

Another pic. Hard to show with flash.

TheFutureFreaksMeOut Sun 13-Oct-19 23:42:09

Could you phone 111 again and ask for advice now that things have changed?

TheSheepofWallSt Sun 13-Oct-19 23:43:09

are you worried that’s infection tracking?

Hard to say from the pictures- it usually follows the path of a vein but I don’t think always. And cellulitis (also nasty) from wounds etc can be red in weird shapes/ patterns

Why don’t you get a felt tip and mark the edges of the redness? You’ll then be able to see if it’s spreading.

I did that for DS after a vaccination when he developed an infection- and it was helpful to be able to show the dr “this is the limit of the redness 6 hours ago, this is the limit 2 hrs ago” etc.

TheSheepofWallSt Sun 13-Oct-19 23:44:03

also- does he have a fever generally?
Does the redness feel hot to touch?

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:44:22

Sorry I probably wasn't clear, I have called them back as the redness on top of his foot was new and I am really worried (having googled and seen v similar thread on here from 2 years ago!) Someone is going to call me back to advise further. In the meantime I was hoping someone would tell me I'm worrying needlessly or that I need to get some proper clothes on and get him to A&E!

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:44:47

Sorry I probably wasn't clear, I have called them back as the redness on top of his foot was new and I am really worried (having googled and seen v similar thread on here from 2 years ago!) Someone is going to call me back to advise further. In the meantime I was hoping someone would tell me I'm worrying needlessly or that I need to get some proper clothes on and get him to A&E!

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:46:15

I will mark it now, thanks for this. I did use a pen earlier to mark the redness around the verruca itself and that seems to have gone down a little (I suspect I made it at least temporarily worse by attempting to remove some of the pus with a sterilised fine needle and TCP shock)

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:46:52

Doesn't seem feverish, red area not hot but warm.

Iwrotethissongfor Sun 13-Oct-19 23:51:00

What age is he?

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:51:20

He is 8

TheSheepofWallSt Sun 13-Oct-19 23:52:20

I’d wait for 111 to call you back and keep a close eye in the meantime. At this time of night I’d be torn as well if he were mine- and I think on balance I’d try and get an OOO GP appt tonight, rather than go to a&e- but I probably would want him seen sooner than later.

If he seemed generally unwell (temp, fast pulse, lethargic, quick breathing) obviously that would be a “rush to a&e” job....

It’s so hard isn’t it!? Try not to stick stuff in IG though eh... best left to the professionals wink can you afford to take him to a private chiropractor in the morning? Would they possibly be able to help the verruca (which no emergency dr will be bothered about- they’ll only care about a possible infection )...

dilemmasdecisions Sun 13-Oct-19 23:58:57

The fact he seems generally ok, fast asleep at the moment despite being woken by me prodding and photographing him, and not feverish makes me think I am overreacting, but I've heard too many stories of sepsis and infections gone wrong to relax and think I can just go to bed and not worry about it (as DH has.....) I keep looking at it and there is definitely an area of redness which spreads in a thinner line slightly up his foot. I'm not imagining the redness but don't know if it needs looking at tonight. I wish they would call back!!

TheSheepofWallSt Mon 14-Oct-19 00:05:38

Can you sleep in his room with him? At least to rest if not to sleep-sleep?

I’m not medically trained, but I would be reassured by the fact he’s well generally, and you might be able to take a small amount of reassurance from the fact that even if it’s an infection, it’s his foot (you know, far away from major organs etc)... I know that sounds a bit bonkers, but when DS has cellulitis I was less worried than I would have been if it had been say, facial or close to his heart.

Like I say, that might be bullshit, but it’s what I’d be telling myself while I tried to catch a quick nap whilst waiting for the doctor to call...

dilemmasdecisions Mon 14-Oct-19 00:10:07

I've just set up a blanket and cushion on the floor by his bed, am exhausted after a very busy day but don't feel I can fall asleep, will try to rest as you say as no idea how long the call back might be....thanks for being there.

alexdgr8 Mon 14-Oct-19 00:18:28

is that foot warmer than the other one?
I think I'd be planning on how to dash to hosp if anything worsens or as advised by 111.
better safe than sorry.
infections can indeed gallop, I've seen it twice this year, in a near neighbour. it's good you are alert to it. drowsiness can also be a symptom.... not that I'm trying to worry you.
good luck.
let us know how you get on.

YoureAQuizardHarry Mon 14-Oct-19 00:27:43

@dilemmasdecisions that needs looking at tonight. As a nurse we tell patients to look out for areas of redness tracking away from the injury.

TheSheepofWallSt Mon 14-Oct-19 07:33:12

Did you see a doctor @dilemmasdecisions ? How is he?

dilemmasdecisions Mon 14-Oct-19 19:28:25

Sorry for slow response, he is ok! 111 doctor called back and said because his temp and breathing etc were ok that it could wait till morning. I was still quite worried because of the red line but took his advice to check DS's temp every hour and I also kept a close eye on the redness which didn't spread further. It was a sleepless night to say the least, I stayed in DS's room and set alarms to run my checks.

Managed to get a GP appointment first thing and he has antibiotics for the infection. She said she would have tried to get the gunk out but as he clearly wasn't keen on that she thought best to leave it! He has let me have another go this evening, my god it was satisfying! And he's already had two doses of the antibiotics. He was able to go into school after the appointment and although it is sore and he's hobbling he is doing ok overall.

I have to admit I was really quite scared last night as I knew it was one of those things that if it does go the wrong way it goes very badly wrong, which felt a lot of responsibility, whilst also not wanting to waste anyone's time. I'm just so glad DS is ok and not in any danger.

It really helped last night to be able to post and I appreciated all of your replies and also asking how he is today. Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been out and about all day and also a bit of a zombie on lack of sleep! Now for some tea and an early night......

RoseyOldCrow Wed 16-Oct-19 09:50:12

Great news, @dilemmasdecisions !
And a big ⭐ for each of you for coping with it all ⭐

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »