Talk

Advanced search

Infantile spasms advice please

(29 Posts)
roundaboutnow Fri 11-Oct-19 16:57:41

My doctor suspects my DC has infantile spasms. She's referred us to a doctor however said the wait would be 6 weeks.

After reading everything online saying not to wait and to take your child straight to A&E we did so. A&E told us nothing they could do and sent us home.

I'm distraught and feel helpless. It seems no one cares or really had the knowledge to know this needs to be sorted ASAP.

Please advise me on what I can do to get my DC seen before it gets any worse sad

paradyning Fri 11-Oct-19 19:39:34

That's bullshit OP. IS is a medical emergency and they have been negligent sending you away.
You need to go back to a children's hospital a&e where there will be direct access to paediatric neurology. Do you have one nearby??

Have you seen this?

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Infantile%20Spasms%20Awareness%20Video%20UKIST.mp4?token=AWzws3dFcsRLhG6eeClOwNRQb0B7ZAierxllOqxDuiaxtXMuVBXijv7P-Ldese6pJhFBnPOmZ18sdsid01UCNeuBizpry6xdcm91ye1pasx9IVNVoCvqM4vRcylWXMKIcxs3vApCi2dcxbhVcnb-AJtXEyRKn5rFYzTQvKoIgbtqJ36M0IU6OPFBIEVRGwc_pBd537Z2Y9VcKXno8SleOf36.

And join this Facebook group for immediate support

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1600888383553097/?ref=share

paradyning Fri 11-Oct-19 19:42:53

http://go.mumsnet.com/?xs=1&id=470X1554755&url=https://youtu.be/IOaMntByLOs

paradyning Fri 11-Oct-19 19:54:58

Also, can you take lots of video footage if you haven't already, to show to professionals.

BlackSwan Fri 11-Oct-19 20:38:59

Go back to A&E. You have to be demanding and be your child's advocate. Your GP has already laid the groundwork - now you have to make sure they follow through. Or, I would think about calling the GP telling them you're not at all satisfied that you're being made to wait 6 weeks and get a more urgent referral.

roundaboutnow Fri 11-Oct-19 21:02:18

Thanks for your replies. We're going to take her to A&E again. Will they do an EEG today? Or will we be booked in for one

whatsleep Fri 11-Oct-19 21:05:08

Hope they take you seriously this time.

Polkadotdelight Fri 11-Oct-19 21:27:37

I wouldn't expect an EEG to be done over the weekend but I would expect an urgent referral to be made. Stand your ground in A&E and request the paediatric doctor on call.

Embracelife Fri 11-Oct-19 22:45:20

How old?
Should be urgent paediatric referral.important to start treatment for IS
Gp can on the day refer to urgent paediatric clinic.
Go Monday morning if no luck over weekend ask to be referred straight to paediatric urgent referral clinic

paradyning Fri 11-Oct-19 22:54:08

They won't do an eeg until Monday now but take a bag with you and be prepared for a stay. Good luck xx and join that Facebook group x

paradyning Fri 11-Oct-19 22:55:18

Ideally you need to go to a Children's Hospital A&E or a big tertiary hospital if you have one close-by

roundaboutnow Fri 11-Oct-19 23:10:56

Thanks everyone. She's almost 5 months old. We've taken her to a children's hospital and are waiting to be seen.

paradyning Fri 11-Oct-19 23:14:50

That's great op. Let them see the videos and stand your ground. Don't let them fob you off with 'Reflux' if you have a gut feeling. An eeg will tell you definitively. It's scary how few medical professional know how to recognise IS.

yellowallpaper Sat 12-Oct-19 11:31:37

Get her into treatment as soon as you can. If it were my baby I would pay privately even if I bankrupted myself. It's important the right drug treatment is started immediately because IS causes progressive brain damage. The drug treatment will help halt this.

I'm amazed this hasn't been recognised if they suspect IS. Take her to A&e with video evidence and demand to see a paediatrician, preferably a referral to a neurologist

paradyning Sat 12-Oct-19 13:57:57

I hope the are taking you seriously now @roundaboutnow and that you baby is ok. My dd's started at 11 weeks so I know what you are going through right now.

roundaboutnow Sat 12-Oct-19 21:47:51

Thanks everyone. Paediatrician said he doesn't think it is IS but has made an urgent referral to a neurologist

paradyning Sat 12-Oct-19 22:14:08

Will you be seen tomorrow OP?
What is the paed thinking it is? Reflux?

Patchworksack Sat 12-Oct-19 22:21:23

Hi OP. I am an admin of the facebook group linked above and a trustee of the charity UK Infantile Spasms trust. Please request to join the group if you haven't already, we are happy to look at footage if you have it and advise. Suspected infantile spasms is a medical emergency and you should be given an EEG at the earliest opportunity (as EEG usually not available over the weekend that would be Monday) There is absolutely no way you accept any wait measured in weeks unless you've had a clear EEG in the meantime.

roundaboutnow Sun 13-Oct-19 01:41:10

@paradyning he said potentially myoclonus jerks. Fingers crossed that's what it is and it's nothing to worry about.

He said nice he doesn't think DC has IS we should wait for our referral, so won't be seen Monday.

roundaboutnow Sun 13-Oct-19 01:41:59

@Patchworksack thank you, I'll definitely join the group now. I'll send over the footage if I can, it would be great to hear what someone else has to say about it.

Patchworksack Sun 13-Oct-19 08:22:57

Myoclonic jerks are very rapid and don't typically happen in clusters. Infantile spasms last 1-2 seconds and can be single to start with, but usually happen in a cluster with a predictable interval between spasms measured in seconds. The movement often gets more marked over the course of a cluster then dies away. The child will often seem withdrawn, babble less, not seem able to see, or lose previously acquired skills. Leaving infantile spasms undiagnosed for 6 weeks could be catastrophic for development. We are happy to look at your footage but I would not take a doctor's opinion as gospel because there are far too many families in our group who were fobbed off for weeks or months.

paradyning Mon 14-Oct-19 09:31:33

@Patchworksack how are they now OP?

Patchworksack Mon 14-Oct-19 09:34:39

I think you mean @roundaboutnow paradyning

paradyning Mon 14-Oct-19 13:37:31

Oops sorry

roundaboutnow Mon 14-Oct-19 16:50:42

@Patchworksack I'm not sure if what my DC has been doing is myoclonic jerks then. I've been trying to join your group but the link posted on this thread hasn't been working for me.

How long would it take for loss of skills to occur? DC doesn't seem less herself or as though she has lost any skills as of yet.

@paradyning She's doing ok thank you. The movements in the videos I showed the doctor seem to die off for a bit then return. They do seem less frequent now but I feel a bit lost as to where to go from here as I can almost guarantee they'll start up again soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »