Talk

Advanced search

20mo hasn’t eaten for four days

(12 Posts)
AthollPlace Tue 08-Oct-19 12:21:47

Last meal was Friday, followed by a tummy upset where he needed changing every hour and was very distressed. Saturday he sat on the sofa watching tv all day and wouldn’t speak or play. His behaviour was back to normal by Sunday but he won’t eat. He cries if I try to put him in his high chair or even just say the word chair. He runs away crying if I offer food. He’ll only have milk, and a few chips off my plate yesterday but nothing today. At what point should I get worried about his refusal to eat?

KatnissMellark Tue 08-Oct-19 12:23:15

I would be worried too. Perhaps ring GP or health visitor for chat over the phone?

If it were me I think I'd be offering his favourite stuff as bribery to get him to start eating again.

INeedNewShoes Tue 08-Oct-19 12:27:34

I think I'd take him to see the GP.

Four days with little sign of improvement would worry me.

Have you tried something like a banana milkshake?

AthollPlace Tue 08-Oct-19 12:34:45

His behaviour is normal and he no longer has the runs. He’s not unwell - he just won’t eat. I’ve tried pombears, chocolate, biscuits, yogurt, pizza, he won’t have anything.

ReggaetonLente Tue 08-Oct-19 12:43:46

Is he drinking water?

My cousin had similar with her little boy and the GP said as long as he was having water, just keep offering food and don't worry too much. Sure enough he started eating again normally after about a week as if nothing had happened.

Mintjulia Tue 08-Oct-19 12:46:30

As long as he is drinking water, I wouldn’t worry too much. His tummy may still be sore or he may not be hungry yet. Or he may have developed a bit of a fear of eating.
I’d leave it another few hours and then have some of his favourite food yourself, but don’t offer him any. Don’t pressure him. See if he shows any interest.

MapMyMum Tue 08-Oct-19 12:57:35

He'll be getting some goodness and calories from the milk. My youngest was a bit like this, filled up with milk and barely ate when his tummy had been sore. I think do go and see the gp but also dont offer food or try and put him in the highchair. Leave a plate of snacks on a low table so he can reach them if he wants them. Maybe dont make foods with strong smells for a while as they could be making him feel nauseous. Maybe do try and put some small treats down on the low table too. Maybe if you can get him interested in eating again then it could help. Once after the flu I didnt eat for 2 weeks, I was a teenager, just really didnt want to eat. I wasnt feeling sick or sore tummy or anything, just didnt want any. But do get the dr to have a little look to be sure

AthollPlace Tue 08-Oct-19 13:00:24

He’s drinking milk but not water. He ate a few of my chips yesterday but that’s all he’s had since Friday.

INeedNewShoes Tue 08-Oct-19 13:03:23

Our GP says to me that if DD seems ok in herself (is playing, engaging in things) then probably no need to worry.

If your DS seems lethargic, sleeping too much, not showing interest in toys etc. I would 100% get him checked over.

saywhatwhatnow Tue 08-Oct-19 13:09:59

I would get him checked, he may have a sore throat/ears which will massively put him off eating.

earlynightneeded Tue 08-Oct-19 13:40:15

My dd was the same!! I took her doctors and they told me she had tonsillitis. Within a day or so she was back to eating me out of house and home like usual. She didn't show any signs of being ill or having a sore throat at all??! Which is why I was even more worried. A trip to the gp can do no harm x

beanaseireann Wed 16-Oct-19 01:15:34

@AthollPlace
I hope your ds is ok now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »