Talk

Advanced search

Cleft Lip

(11 Posts)
FE1984 Wed 01-May-19 18:51:36

Does anyone have experience of having s baby with a cleft lip? We've just had our 20 week cab and have been told our baby has a cleft lip. We have another scan tomorrow to find out the severity. We're a little unnerved but everything else about our baby is completely healthy.

Pandasarecute Sat 04-May-19 11:39:31

My niece had cleft lip and palate. Her parents were offered some extra help with feeding and used a special bottle. She's had 2 surgeries which were obviously stressful for parents but very successful. She's 4 now and you can't tell at all, no visible scar, her teeth are correctly positioned and her speech is great smile. Good luck, I hope that your little one has a similar outcome hmmthanks

Chocl8 Sat 04-May-19 18:50:17

I hope that your scan went well. Has anyone pointed you in the direction of cleft lip and palate charity CLAPA? You might find it useful to talk to a parent contact who has been in the same shoes as you. My daughter has a repaired cleft palate. The care and treatment that she has had for this under the NHS has been absolutely brilliant.

foxyfemke Mon 06-May-19 12:41:32

The support for this is great, and you will be very well looked after.

Bunnybigears Mon 06-May-19 12:43:59

My friends little girl was born with a cleft and CLAPA were fantastic.

Disfordarkchocolate Mon 06-May-19 12:45:49

No experience but wishing you well. My old boss had an interest in this and the outcomes from surgery have come on massively in the last 30 years.

elliejjtiny Thu 09-May-19 14:55:05

My son was born with a cleft lip and palate, he'll be 6 next month. The pregnancy is the scariest bit because you don't know how it will affect them and you can't do anything practical to help them. My little boy has a scar that you can't see unless you know it's there. Feel free to ask anything you would like to know.

RichardYeager Fri 10-May-19 07:39:14

My friends little boy was born with a cleft lip. Wishing you well.

nutellanom Sun 12-May-19 17:15:13

Our baby has a cleft lip. Also diagnosed at 20 week scan. We were so anxious but all has been fine!

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat.

nutellanom Sun 12-May-19 17:17:22

Our baby has a cleft lip. Also diagnosed at 20 week scan. We were so anxious but all has been fine! it's incredibly difficult when you first find out, and google is not your friend! But it's fairly straight forward if just the lip and/or palate.

We were filled with love when our baby was born and it didn't make us feel any differently towards him.

He had an op on his lip at 3mo. Two nights in hospital.

Feel free to pm me if you want to chat.

Katrina1312 Fri 12-Jul-19 22:04:20

Hey,

Our little boy was diagnosed with a bilateral cleft lip at our 20 week scan, he is due on Sunday so I completely understand how your feeling at the minute. It was a massive shock to us when we were told but we’ve had a few test and he is perfectly heathy and I can’t wait to meet him.
As my pregnancy has gone on and we got our head around it all, we realised we are so lucky to be having a healthy happy baby. Obviously we are nervous for the surgeries but we’ve meet up with a few parents through clapa and they all say the same, baby’s are so resilient and are just amazing how they handle everything.

Wishing you all the best, feel free to pm me xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »