Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please help-suspected foot and mouth

(10 Posts)
newbie23 Thu 11-Oct-18 09:09:41

Hello all, desperate for some help and advice.

My DS1(4) has had foot and mouth since Friday. Had soaring high temp, sore throat and rash. Rash started on bum and gradually came out on hands and a few round mouth.

DD(20mo) now has what looks to be the same thing. She had the soaring high temp from Monday, and yesterday morning the rash around her mouth has started to break out. This morning it looks completely different and really very sore looking. It worsened yesterday afternoon and I took a photo to bring to our local pharmacy. She advised me to put sudocream on it. I did and it became horribly scabby and this morning has spread even more. I rang our doctor to see if I could get anything and have been told there's nothing.

I'm now worried she's had a reaction to the sudocream or that it's something else completely different.I don't want to bring her to gp surgery as I know foot and mouth is highly contagious! I've attached a photo in the hope that some of you lovely mums can recognise this as just a bad case of foot and mouth. I've googled images of it and this rash seems to be much worse than anything I can find confused

BlackInk Thu 11-Oct-18 09:37:21

Hi OP

I'm usually pretty hands-off with this kind of thing, but that looks pretty nasty and I would take your DD to the GP asap. If the GP really won't see her today, is there a walk-in centre near you?

How is she in herself today?

Doje Thu 11-Oct-18 09:40:45

Oooh, that looks nasty. It could be impetigo? DS had a maybe case of this a while ago and it looked similar.

I would phone your GPs and see what they advise before going in.

newbie23 Thu 11-Oct-18 09:44:37

I was there with DS on Monday and because symptoms are similar they have advised me to stay at home and just monitor. Theres a baby clinic this morning so I understand why they don't want me to bring her down. Surgery closed this afternoon and there's no walk in nearby, just a hospital. She's just a bit clingier than usual, and now seems to be picking at scabs. But other than that she's herself, has been eating and drinking ok.

TomHardysNextWife Thu 11-Oct-18 09:44:52

You need to get her to a GP with that. GPs are there for all medical care, contagious or not. Just ask reception if they are happy for you to sit in the waiting room, ours will pop you in an empty office to wait or in one of the treatment rooms.

PenApple Thu 11-Oct-18 09:46:41

The scabbing is exactly what my ds looked like when he had it last month.

We were told calpol & piriton. The chemist adviced chamomile lotion but dr (had to see him for something else) said he didn’t think it would help.

Hope she improves soon!

BlackInk Thu 11-Oct-18 09:46:50

Could you try a warm bath and see how it looks after? Maybe the Sudocreme and some wetness from the rash have mixed and crusted over? But honestly if it still looks that nasty I would speak to GP again in case it's infected.

Glad she's ok in herself though smile

newbie23 Thu 11-Oct-18 09:54:17

Surgery has just rang and said the doctor will call me after this morning surgery. We have been giving her Calpol and piriton which is why I think her mood is ok.

Thanks for all your help ladies

newbie23 Thu 11-Oct-18 22:30:28

It's infected. We've been given an antibiotic but may have to get another one next week as infection is so bad. Hoping it clears up soon

BlackInk Fri 12-Oct-18 09:44:46

Poor little thing - glad she's being treated though and fingers crossed for a quick recovery smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: