Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried sick about 2 year old, calm me down!

(6 Posts)
Charliejr16 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:22:19

Over the past few days I've managed to work myself into a bit of a frenzy about my 2 year old son. Lots of little things have pieced together and I've done the worst thing possible and googled his symptoms.

For the past 3/4 months my son has been noticeably pale, I haven't thought too much into it as I'm very very pale myself (I mean Casper pale). He's had cold like symptoms for a while but put this down to nursery. He seems to be more irritable recently, tired, not that interested in playing. The past few days he's been saying "ow ow ow" and touching his leg. There's no noticeable reason for the pain at all.

He's had a temperature on and off for the past week or so, I took him to the doctors and they examined him but couldn't find anything so put it down to viral and we left.

Now I feel stupid for not mentioning all these other things, I've googled and the first links that came up were cancer. Am I being ridiculous? I don't want to go running to the doctors, I feel stupid having googled them and now freaked myself out thinking the worst.

Is this all just lots of separate issues that are quite normal in a 2 year old, or should I take him down and push for them to investigate? I just don't want to seem hysterical as I can be quite anxious around his health as he's our first baby!

Charliejr16 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:23:49

I should add DH thinks I'm massively over reacting - hence why I'm doubting going to the GP.

Winniesalot Sat 11-Aug-18 14:32:27

He's probably fine. Common things are commoner. But if you're worried then take him back to the gp and ask for blood tests.

Seniorschoolmum Sat 11-Aug-18 14:43:42

So one thing at a time. There is a nasty summer cold bug doing the rounds at the moment - my ds had a week of temperature & general snottiness. Could that be part of it?
Has the recent heat made him a bit sleepy & tired? That would make sense.
By pale, what do you mean? Clammy white pale or pale in comparison to all the other kids who have been running around in the sun?
Is there a bruise on his leg? Is he growing quickly at the moment? Could be growing pains?

I think I’d leave it a week. Make sure he gets plenty of fresh air and monitor if he is cheerful and energetic. If it hasn’t reassured you by next Friday, call the GP again.
They won’t mind, they’d rather hear if your instinct is saying there is something wrong.

But stop googling. You worry yourself into a frazzle. smile

TheConstantMoaner Sat 11-Aug-18 14:56:19

Call gp on Monday say you’re a little worried about ds. Need to see someone ASAP.
Explain your concerns and ask for blood test. I’m sure it’s nothing serious ( google says cancer for anything you search. so don’t let it freak you out).
But will be good to get him checked out.

Grumpasaurus Sat 11-Aug-18 14:59:22

I have bad BAD health anxiety and I met a lovely nurse once who said bruising and consistent lethargy are the two key signs.

He doesn't have those- so maybe hang tight a bit and see if he improves? X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: