Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Concerned New Yummy Mummy x

(16 Posts)
PrinceAbu0818 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:32:14

Hi All, I'm new to this chat talk. I'm in need of support & advice desperately please. I'm not sure what to do my newborn is now 10 days old. Other than these issues I'm about to discuss he was born a healthy weight with no issues. Since his birth when I'm feeding him (Bottle Feeding on Cow & Gate New Baby Milk). Everytime after being winded he is projectile vomiting everywhere, then gureenteed 15-20 later he will want another feed. He's not losing weight, but I concerned it's something more serious. He is booked in the doctors tomorrow. But I'm just really worried. Need help. Plus he is very constipated & since his cord has fallen of his belly button keeps bleeding fresh red blood and has done on and off for last 24 hrs. If anyone out there can help me I really would appreciate it thanks. Xsmile

PippilottaLongstocking Fri 10-Aug-18 21:43:08

Could be that the particular brand of milk doesn’t agree with him (I breastfed both of mine so don’t know much about that though, but have heard that it can be an issue)

Redteapot67 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:44:12

You can always take him to out of hours or a and e tonight if you are worried - they never mind seeing a very very young baby.
Bleeding red blood doesn’t sound normal and he could have an infection?

Redteapot67 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:45:30

With young babies it’s best to trust your instinct and if you are worried about him take him to be seen tonight

anotherangel2 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:47:28

The vomiting sounds like reflux. Most babies do lose weight after birth so it sounds like he is probably getting enough milk.

What makes you think he is constipated?

If you ring out of hours doctors, we access them by ringing 111, they will see him today.

Plumsofwrath Fri 10-Aug-18 21:49:15

Is this your first baby?

Are you sure he’s projectile vomiting and not just doing the normal thing of bringing up some milk when he burps? It’s difficult for them to know in the early days when to stop feeding, especially if your bottle/teat allows too much milk to flow through and he can’t regulate that.

When he feeds 15/20 mins later, are you sure it’s a feed he wants and not that he’s just not properly winded? In the early days, mine used to take 40-60 mins per feed. Milk (bottle or breast, it didn’t seem to matter), wind, but more milk, wind and so forth for up to an hour. Then they’d basically fall asleep after 20-30mins of awake time. Could this be what’s happening to your baby? Remember also that what they bring up often looks like more than it is (eg 10mls can look like 50mls!).

Failing that, if it really is projectile vomiting, agree with trying a new formula and/or bottle (one at a time so you k ow which it is).

Redteapot67 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:07:01

Please don’t doubt yourself - it doesn’t matter whether this is your first baby or your tenth, if a newborn is bleeding and the mummy is concerned then you should see a dr ASAP.

Redteapot67 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:10:18

www.seattlechildrens.org/medical-conditions/symptom-index/newborn-illness-how-to-recognize/

Redteapot67 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:12:44

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.worldofmoms.com/amp/articles/omphalitis-or-belly-button-infection-in-newborns-symptoms-and-treatment/885/2

Plumsofwrath Sat 11-Aug-18 03:36:53

My “advice” above was about the vomiting/feeding, where experience very much comes into it. I didn’t address the bleeding as I am unqualified and have no relevant experience. There’s really no need to panic the OP.

Redteapot67 Sat 11-Aug-18 03:54:30

I’m not panicking her - I’m giving her sensible advice to see a dr ASAP as a newborn bleeding isn’t normal.
I have experience of a sick newborn and just how quickly they can deteriorate (hours not days). Once you have that you realise it’s always better to react and get seen ASAP than take any chances.

Greenyogagirl Sat 11-Aug-18 03:59:24

If it’s projectile it could be a dairy intolerance, if it’s just coming up and dribbling then it’s completely normal or could be a bit of reflux.
I’d be concerned about the umbilical cord and red blood though, that doesn’t sound right

PrinceAbu0818 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:47:41

Just to update you all, firstly I want to thankyou for your advice and supporting messages, then secondly when I mentioned bleeding it was only a few types in a 24hr period, in a small volume not flooding away as then of course I would of gotton emergency help. Anyway the Midwife came round not long ago, I mentiond the few issues to her, she checked him over the bleeding has now stopped she said not to be too concerned over this as it is a common thing with newborns.

Im still booked in the doctors later on today, as for the constipation she feels he is constipated (So any advice on how to relieve this would be amazing), then she only briefly touched on the milk & projectile vomiting, she said to double check when I see the doctor later but as long as he not loosing weight or becoming dehydrated to just monitor it and how often it is happening, although I am still worried about so any further help or advice on this is very welcomed thankyou. So 1 out of 3 issues is now solved. so just to be clear its just the vomiting after bottle feeds & Constipation now thanks... xx

RubaDubMum89 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:57:54

For the constipation OP, try offering a small amount of boiled and cooled water, it helps to flush them out. If they're having at least one poo a day I wouldn't be too concerned, unless it's coming out hard? With a baby so young it should be a lovely yellow slop.

AnneOfCleavage Sat 11-Aug-18 09:12:40

Does his nappy have jelly like blood in it? My DD had projectile vomiting (literally across the room The Exorcist style) and constipation and I knew there was something wrong but HV just said bug. Took to A&E and it was an intussusception.

Trust your instincts. Hope the Dr is helpful later.

RubaDubMum89 Sun 12-Aug-18 09:36:11

How is your little one today OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: