Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Post Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy

(4 Posts)
Tabsmum10 Fri 10-Aug-18 08:22:59

Hi, my 8 yr old daughter had her tonsils and adenoids out on 18th July, just under a week later she had a post tonsillectomy bleed, which was scary but she was very brave. 2 weeks on and whilst she is physically much better she seems to have regressed emotionally and doesn't want to go back to any of her hobbies (horse riding and karate) as she says she's to tired and just wants to stay at home......everything i've read suggests she should be feeling fine by now. I know everyone's healing process will be different but I just wondered what other people had experienced?
Thanks in advance - be kind i am new to netmums 😊

MermaidCafe Sat 11-Aug-18 20:28:57

Hi, my 6 yr old had a massive bleed and emergency surgery a week after her tonsillectomy. It really shook us all but she definitely regressed emotionally for a few months - sleeping with me and really suffering separation anxiety. I chalked it up to the trauma she had suffered and the interventions (as well as the pain!) and rode it out, took a little while but she's back to her normal self now!

Tabsmum10 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:56:36

Thank you so much, sorry your daughter went through that and glad to hear she is back to her normal self. It is such a traumatic experience for them, but at least I have hope she will get back to her old self x

Itchytights Thu 16-Aug-18 06:23:38

My Son had adenoids/ tonsils removed and also grommets fitted in June.
He had over three weeks off school and emotionally as well as physically, recovery was slow. He also had blood clots after surgery and had bleeding.
It’s a big operation and one not to be underestimated; please allow your daughter the time she needs to heal. My son was sleeping with me for a good two to three weeks afterwards and he is seven.

Not everything is textbook and we are all individuals.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: