Talk

Advanced search

Petechia rash on 12 year old...normal?

(34 Posts)
Mummytron Mon 06-Aug-18 23:51:02

I posted about my son having hives and now he seems to have a petechia rash too. I googled and it came up with leukaemia, stupid to Google I know. Just wondered if anyone can offer some reassurance please ?

PeterPiperPickedSeaShells Tue 07-Aug-18 00:05:48

It can be caused by itching so a possibility as he has hives also. But a non blanching rash should always be checked by a Dr

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 00:08:50

He's well in himself, does he need to be seen tonight?

PeterPiperPickedSeaShells Tue 07-Aug-18 00:20:14

The trouble is that a non blanching rash can be associated with a couple of very nasty things which are absolutely time critical regarding treatment. It is usually a later sign of serious illness but not always.
You could always ring 111 for advice?

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 00:32:48

I know what you mean, sepsis and meningitis. He's had the hives since Saturday so I'm trying not to panic

Coconutcreampie Tue 07-Aug-18 00:36:17

Is he an easy bruiser normally? Because I am, and at any one time I have loads of petachiae from clothing being too tight or from scratching myself. If he's otherwise well in himself I would keep an eye on him closely but not go to a and e unless he starts showing other signs of illness. Incidentally where is the rasha and does he have any joint/tummy pain?

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 00:38:48

I wouldn't say he bruises easily but he's a boy so he tends to have a few.
The hives are on his front and back and the petechia are on his back. 3 patches in a grid style pattern, neat rows and spaced evenly if that makes sense. Planning to ring the GP tomorrow

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 00:39:18

No tummy or joint pain

itchyknees Tue 07-Aug-18 00:41:33

That sounds like a reaction to his scratching. I get them. But but but, check it out tomorrow.

Coconutcreampie Tue 07-Aug-18 00:46:24

OK then from what you have told me I'm very confident that he had either scratched or rubbed on something. Petachiae that is uniform in appearance is near impossible to be illness related as the reason for petachiae is small breaks in minor blood vessels, if he was seriously ill the pattern would be unpredictable and he would also likely have eccymoses (not sure of spelling) which are larger non blanching spots, he would also likely be very ill. I wouldn't have any concerns about leukemia what so ever as petachiae is a minor symptom of leukemia, if he was also pale, exhausted, ached and had no appetite as well as the petachiae then I would say be concerned but if these don't apply then I'm gonna go with him having itched himself too hard because of the hives. I would still suggest seeing gp tomorrow as they may want to do a blood test to check for something called ITP but I can't imagine there would be any chance that that blood test would come back positive. Stay strong. My some had recurring petachiae last year and I know its terrifying but he is absolutely fine now

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 00:46:48

I will
Thank you both for replying so late

Coconutcreampie Tue 07-Aug-18 00:47:32

My son*

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 00:47:58

Thanks all for your advice. I really appreciate it

Coconutcreampie Tue 07-Aug-18 15:21:57

All OK today @mummytron

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 15:37:04

Spots still there but he is absolutely fine in himself. We have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow morning. I wonder if when the weather cools it might help, it's mid 30s here today.

Mummytron Tue 07-Aug-18 20:38:36

Will be glad when we've seen the doctor though, got myself worked up about leukaemia again tonight. He'd be poorly too wouldn't he?

Coconutcreampie Wed 08-Aug-18 13:43:15

Hi @mummytron I'm so sorry I've only just seen your message. Yes petachiae is a rarer symptom of leukemia, if he was tired, recurrent illnesses and bruised easily along with joint pains, unexplained fevers then there would be leukemia concerns but from what you've told me I can't see that that would be a concern. I do understand how terrifying it is though, I made myself very mentally unwell when ds1 had the petachiae because of go ogling all the possible illnesses, please try to take care of yourself as well. I'm sure your ds will be fine xx

Mummytron Wed 08-Aug-18 18:22:59

Hi coconut
Thanks for checking in. He's seen the GP who thinks they are all hives even though they look different. She's given him a stronger antihistamine and some cream and expects it to clear up within 2 weeks. We can go back at anytime if worried. I am a worrier but the fact he's well is a good sign.
Thanks xx

HereInMyHead Wed 08-Aug-18 18:46:12

I would ask for some blood tests. I went to a docs appointment with my ten year old as he had a petichial rash. Long story short got sent to A+E for blood tests and turns out he has a thing called ITP. Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nothing to be done for it apparently, but waiting for a referral letter. Has to be careful with contact sports (hard as he is a footballer) and have to be careful if he bangs his head as can cause bleeds.

Coconutcreampie Wed 08-Aug-18 19:55:02

If they come back again and are in a less uniform pattern and are not near some hives then I would agree press for a blood test for ITP but as I said above it's extremely rare and I wouldn't put him through a blood test at this point.

Mummytron Wed 08-Aug-18 20:53:06

The GP didn't think they are petechia and thinks they may be more like hives even though they are different in looks.

Mummytron Wed 08-Aug-18 22:18:49

hereimmyhead
Did your child have lots of spots? The GP didn't seem to agree when k mentioned petechiae and I do trust her.

Coconutcreampie Thu 09-Aug-18 00:29:54

@mummytron can you add a picture of his hives and what you thought were petachiae and we can tell you if they looked like our children's ones....

Mummytron Thu 09-Aug-18 00:35:26

Can't seem to do it with my phone!

Mummytron Thu 09-Aug-18 00:42:02

Do you have photos?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: