Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ibuprofen for teething 7mo

(10 Posts)
Jellybabie3 Fri 25-May-18 08:18:09

Hi all. My DS seems to be going through a really nasty spell of teething. Sloppy nappies (sometimes shrek green) sore bum, and hysterical screaming in the night. Literally the only things to get him to sleep are cuddles (wants to sleep on me again for comfort), the boob, or ibuprofen. Last night he had some ibroprofen at 6.30pm ready for bed at 7pm but then woke at 9.30pm hysterical. We literally could not get him back to sleep and he was so wound up he was making himself hoarse. Everytime we laid him down he went nuts. At 10.30 i fed him (ebf) we gave him more ibuprofen (4 hours had passed) and he went to sleep for 5 hours so it obviously helped. At 4am this morn he woke up and went off again. i fed him which got him back to sleep but then he wakes every hour for a comfort feed and/or a cuddle which results in a battle (with singing) to get him back down.

So question....I didnt want to give him a third dose at 4am as this seemed too much in one night? He has nothing in the day as although irritable, teething biscuits and toys seem to be enough.

Is there a guideline of how much and how long (days) this is OK as these teeth are being bloody resilient and I cant stand seeing him in pain

Jellybabie3 Fri 25-May-18 08:27:40

Btw this isnt a sleep association thing as he self settles beautifully in the day until the last nap before bed

Bluebelltulip Fri 25-May-18 08:30:21

You can alternate with paracetamol. 3x ibuprofen and 4x paracetamol in 24 hours.

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 25-May-18 08:32:06

You can alternate with calpol

BendydickCuminsnatch Fri 25-May-18 08:32:16

Sorry x post!

Bluebelltulip Fri 25-May-18 08:33:18

I tend to need to give it for a couple of days while teeth come through which HV said was fine.

TheChineseChicken Fri 25-May-18 08:38:15

As PP have said, alternate with paracetamol. A paediatric consultant said you can continue to do this regularly for several days (in fact they even said weeks) so don't be concerned about it.

TheChineseChicken Fri 25-May-18 08:38:26

As in they said to me!

Jellybabie3 Fri 25-May-18 08:43:16

Ah brilliant. Thanks!!

IwillrunIwillfly Fri 25-May-18 14:14:58

As pp have said, fine to alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen as long and max 4 times for paracetamol and 3 times for ibuprofen, but you have to leave at least 6 hours between ibuprofen doses and not give on an empty stomach. You can also give teething gel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: