Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chickenpox without blisters????

(12 Posts)
mrspodington Tue 13-Mar-18 21:03:19

Has anyone’s child ever had chickenpox without the blisters?
DD11 has been very unwell since Friday extreme sore throat, headache and generally lethargic. She complained of a stiff neck on Saturday but a trip to GP out of hours confirmed it wasn’t it wasn’t meningitis (over reaction by mother me) but could have been early tonsillitis.

She was not better yesterday so went to see my own GP there was no rash before we left the house but by the time we saw the GP (half an hour later) there was a raised red rash over her back GP confirmed no tonsillitis but thought she had chickenpox but then changed his mind after finding out she had already had it.

DD has got a few more spots today mainly on her neck and side but these are not fluid filled but are sore to touch and itchy she is still very unwell and now has lower back pain.

Is it possible she does have chickenpox even though the spots are not fluid filled? They are quite large. Just wondering if anybody else has any experience.

EllieFitz Tue 13-Mar-18 21:09:53

I do know a child that has had chicken pox twice so it is possible.

I was thinking shingles but the rash is (I believe) usually in one place, that was certainly the case when my LO had it.

BadgerFace Tue 13-Mar-18 21:17:52

I was told by a GP that my DD had chicken pox when she had a rash, but I was never that convinced as the spots never blistered (and the GP didn’t look that closely!). I think that DD’s was a viral rash.

shallichangemyname Tue 13-Mar-18 21:26:45

3 of my DCs have had chicken pox twice.
The DTwins had it at 11 months, quite mildly, and then again at 3.
DS1 had it extremely mildly when he was 2. I wasn't sure it was chicken pox and neither was the GP. Then when the DTs had chicken pox he got shingles (which indicated that it had been chicken pox before). He was 3. The shingles was like one massive scab of concentrated spots on the side of his torso under his armpit - the spots/rash tend to appear along a line of nerve endings I believe. Then he had chicken pox when he was 5 or 6. GP wanted him tested for immunity issues but I didn't pursue it and he's never had any issues since.

shallichangemyname Tue 13-Mar-18 21:27:42

Sorry, meant to say the spots first time round were small and didn't blister/scab over.

mrspodington Tue 13-Mar-18 21:57:18

Ah it’s so difficult I’m almost convinced that they are chickenpox but they certainly aren’t big fluid filled spots like in the pictures on google. I have a couple of friends whose children have had it more than once so it’s certainly a possibility as the rest of the symptoms fit.
The itching has gotten worse this evening too.
I have uploaded a photo of that is any help?

shallichangemyname Wed 14-Mar-18 12:46:02

difficult to say isn't it...... they look similar to what DS1 had first time round, he just had some spots which didn't scab over, they were on his chest if I remember correctly!

Nogodsnomasters Wed 14-Mar-18 19:42:19

When my ds had chicken pox a year ago (quite a bad case) the spots looked like that on the first day before turning fluid filled the following day, then as those turned fluid the next batch of spots that cropped up looked like ur daughters again until the following day and so on so forth until the last crop on day 4. I hope that made sense. Basically what I'm saying is if they don't turn fluid filled within about 24/36hrs of appearing then I'd guess its not chicken pox. Any chance it could be hives since they itch? Could be a bad allergic reaction to something eaten especially if there's been no fever?

mrspodington Wed 14-Mar-18 21:46:37

It’s definitely not an allergic reaction she has been extremely poorly since last Friday. Severe sore throat, extreme headache, tiredness and high temp. All the symptoms of chickenpox but the the spots have not blistered. They look like this today with small pinpricks around the edges even though she isn’t scratching at them as the itchyness has gone. I’m at a loss as to what it might be so maybe it is just a viral rash although the pinpricks concern me.

mrspodington Wed 14-Mar-18 21:47:56

This is a better picture of the pinpricks

Nogodsnomasters Wed 14-Mar-18 22:34:22

Looks a little bit bruise-y now from those 2nd pics, do they look like they're bruising in real life? Yeah def not allergic then I didn't realise she had a high temp too. Do they blanch under pressure?

Nogodsnomasters Wed 14-Mar-18 22:38:54

Sorry forgot to ask also are they flattish looking or raised up bumps? I don't think severe sore throat and severe headache is symptom of chicken pox, I read that mild cold symptoms at the start of chicken pox is normal, which coincidentally is exactly how my lb had it, mild cold symptoms for 2 days then spots started and fever on day 2 of spots.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: