Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Not sure if I can do anything?!

(6 Posts)
user1495827045 Tue 13-Mar-18 20:47:06

My son who is 3 and a half woke up very poorly last Thursday, since then he has been sleepy, barely eating, on and off high temp, some sickness, cough/cold, complaining of tummy pain and his forehead hurting. Not his usual happy self etc. It is now day 6 - he attended pre school today as he asked to go and I was able to pick him up if they needed me to, he survived the day albeit when I picked him up they said he had been very quiet and having taken his temp for high temp. He fell asleep in car at 5pm and has been asleep since. He just woke a minute ago saying he was hungry but when i brought him food he said he couldn't get up and then refused it although he did have some water. Dr said on Friday he thought it was a viral infection, this is the worst we have ever seen our little boy so it is heartbreaking, should I be doing anything else? Ie 111 or Drs again or is it just that he is taking long time to recover??

applesandpears56 Tue 13-Mar-18 21:12:02

Why did you send a sick child to preschool? Very irresponsible - you’ve just passed his virus on to loads more poor children to suffer the same as your son. Keep sick children at home until they’ve recovered.

Oops4 Tue 13-Mar-18 22:20:10

Viruses can last ages and it's really a case of keeping them hydrated and getting food in when you can. Small and often, snacks, anything to keep his energy up. If you're worried that he's getting worse or he's really not drinking then back to docs but you can't have been that worried if you sent him to pre-school. Is he's a unwell as you say he really shouldn't be going and spreading it round other children, it unfair on him and them

123bananas Tue 13-Mar-18 22:27:39

If he is still spiking temperatures after 5 days he needs to be seen by a doctor as he may have developed a secondary bacterial infection. In the mean time make sure he is drinking regularly. If you are very concerned that he is not right or getting worse tonight phone 111 as they can signpost you to OOH doctors, if not emergency GP appt in the morning.

shewolfmum Tue 13-Mar-18 22:57:22

Oh poor poppet. Is he weeing plenty and taking fluids?

ChristineC320 Wed 14-Mar-18 21:58:41

My DS had this. he needed antibiotics, it took me 3 trips to the gp for them to give it to me because they kept saying it's viral in the end I think they gave him amoxicillin to make me go away.... but hey it worked after 24hrs so I guess it was bacterial.

I kept him off school for a week because he really didn't feel up to it and I didn't feel comfortable with him going and perhaps getting worse and developing something horrible like sepsis and me not being able to see.

Also, I know there's a child in his class that has an immune problem so would be really unfair to send him in to spread his germs everywhere

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now