Talk

Advanced search

6 week old vomiting?

(9 Posts)
slpx Tue 13-Mar-18 07:54:01

My son isn’t 6 weeks old on Friday, he was vomiting up a lot of his feeds a few weeks ago so we switched him to anti-reflux milk as agreed with my health visitor, he’s been fine up until this weekend where he has projectile vomited a few of his feeds. It’s not a little bit of vomit like it was before we changed milks it seems to be almost the whole bottle (4-5oz). Before it happens he seems quite fussy, kicking about and making noises. He’s fine once he’s vomited, kinda like it’s a relief for him? Has anybody experienced similar? I’m really worried he’s going to start losing weight because he’s not getting what he needs.

applesandpears56 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:35:43

Well the obvious answer would be to switch back milks. Most babies throw up a bit of milk after a feed.
Also how much are you feeding him a day? Are you maybe overfeeding him a little bit (easy to do with bottles)

QueenAravisOfArchenland Tue 13-Mar-18 08:38:10

Pretty normal for a baby tbh, and if the vomiting doesn't pain him and weight gain continues there's really no issue (other than the laundry which is a pain).

It almost certainly isn't the whole bottle though, it always looks like more than it is. Try pacing bottle-feeding so he doesn't overfeed and minimise air swallowed and make sure he stays upright afterwards.

slpx Tue 13-Mar-18 09:33:38

He’s been on 5oz for the last few weeks but only seems since this weekend that he’s not taking the full bottle/vomiting it back up. He seems quite tired too, sleeping a bit more than previous. I’m probably just letting my anxiety get the best of me, can’t help but worry!

applesandpears56 Tue 13-Mar-18 09:55:56

You could always take him to the gp for a quick review if you are worried

DancingLedge Tue 13-Mar-18 09:58:45

That young, really needs to be seen by GP.

It probably is a reflux/ finding right milk problem, but there a couple of other, rarer, problems that need to be ruled out.

AnnaT45 Tue 13-Mar-18 10:18:59

It could be cows milk protein allergy which is very common. Does he have a rash or bad poos?

Take him to the GP as weight loss needs to be monitored. Good luck

Luckymummy22 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:44:24

I’m surprised your HV recommended anti reflux milk so quickly if he’s only just started being sick.
My advice would be to take him to GP. It may be reflux but I would have thought that it was too soon to tell if it’s only just started happening. I’m not a fan of anti reflux milk. I think it’s too thick for them and gives them constipation. Although I guess it depends on child.

Also they go through leaps / growth spurts and that can affect their mood, make them more tired and change their milk intake.

Ragusa Tue 13-Mar-18 14:34:57

Please take him to the GP for a review. It might be nothing but pyloric stenosis needs ruling out, or at least that is what we were told when we had similar with DS.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: