Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 year old squint surgery next week

(10 Posts)
Choconuts Thu 22-Feb-18 08:12:38

My DD is having squint surgery on one eye next week does anyone have any experience and any tips etc?

DontbouncelikeIdid Thu 22-Feb-18 08:40:51

No tips I'm afraid, but I had squint surgery as a child and it didn't seem like any big deal to me. It will probably be far harder on you than her. I hope all goes well!

Cheesymonster Thu 22-Feb-18 08:45:17

My daughter had it this time last year. She had the op on both eyes. She was home the same afternoon. Her eyes were bloodshot afterwards and she had some pain and dryness from the stitches but calpol helped and she had to have eye drops every day for a month. She was off nursery for about two weeks. The surgery was a success but she still wears glasses for long sightedness.

Choconuts Thu 22-Feb-18 13:06:30

Thanks for the replies. She will need to wear glasses still afterwards as they are not expecting it to improve her eyesight.

I haven't told her that it's happening yet as I don't want to worry her but now I'm wondering if that's the best thing to do!

FluttershyStare Thu 22-Feb-18 13:09:39

I had this as a child, and like a pp it didn't register as that big a thing.. I was a bit achey and didn't care for the patch I had to wear after but was alright in myself

(I also stayed for an overnight and didn't like the big beds that looked like cots, because I wasn't a baby thank you very much - I was three don't you know!)

dementedpixie Fri 23-Feb-18 21:15:10

Dd had it in one eye when she was 4. Her eye annoyed her for a few days and was blood shot for at least a week. Think she was off nursery for one or two weeks. It was a pure nightmare getting the drops in her eyes afterwards. She didn't have a patch or anything

dementedpixie Fri 23-Feb-18 21:16:49

She was a day case and was allowed home once she'd eaten and had a drink

Watto1 Fri 23-Feb-18 21:21:24

I had squint surgery on both eyes when I was 10, so 35 years ago. I remember my eyes being very sore afterwards. I needed eye drops several times a day and it was very painful to open my eyes for them for the first few doses. I remember DM saying that she wish she has been warned that my tears would be red, so I am passing that warning on to you OP!

My eyes are perfectly straight now. I am very short sighted but that has nothing to do with the squint.

Hope all goes well for your dd.

BabbittyRabbittyCacklingStump Fri 23-Feb-18 21:24:17

I had the surgery when I was 10. I didn't have patches after but had had them for years previously. I couldn't open my eye properly for a few days & it was a bit sore but it recovered very well & I've not had to wear glasses since smile I'm so glad I had it done.

Choconuts Fri 23-Feb-18 23:05:03

Thanks for all the replies and the warning about the red tears - that would definitely have been a shock.

It's nice to hear that it isn't too bad a recovery etc. It sounds like it'll be worse for me and her dad than her which is a good thing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: