Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox

(5 Posts)
GrumpyOldBagFace Wed 14-Feb-18 03:07:01

DD 1yr has chicken pox. Spots came out 48 hours ago. Her temperature is coming down to 38.5c after calpol. She's been moaning and crying all night.

Is this normal? We called 111 and dr called back to say chicken pox can be bad for the first 48 hours. This is horrid, she's not stop, she's clearly in discomfort.

DS was never like this. I feel slightly panicked. It is normal, isn't it?

buzzbottom Wed 14-Feb-18 04:26:00

Just got over chicken pox with DS6 and DD4.

With DS, the only obvious signs were the spots! He's not a big eater anyway, so was just snacking. No crying, not poorly, slept fine and he didn't even itch! He didn't need calpol or the Poxclin I ordered especially.
He got his spots Sunday night and started scabbing by Wednesday! Not many spots and only a couple on his face.

With DD, she didn't get many spots but hers were in awkward areas. Down below, quite a few on face, hands, scalp. I noticed spots on a Tuesday after school. (Last week).
Wednesday night was hideous. Every 20 minutes she was awake crying. Screaming in pain because of her ear but refusing calpol. She was itchy, crying and shouting "get it off me mummy".
She refused EVERYTHING - calpol, poxclin, calamine lotion, piriton, even a damp flannel.
I cried, she cried, DH ended up on the sofa.

But after that night, it got easier. She was itching but we had to tell her to stop. She struggled to stop so I'm hoping none of them scar! DS were fading at this point but hers have only recently started scabbing! Luckily we are on half term so she won't have to miss school anymore.

I hope your little one doesn't suffer too much! Apparently the Poxclin is VERY good. We haven't had much experience with it since DS didn't need it and DD refused it.. but a few people told me to get it. I ordered from Amazon on Prime, but I did see it in Asda.
It will get easier!

GrumpyOldBagFace Wed 14-Feb-18 10:50:18

Crikey! That sounds like my DD last night! I hope that was the peak. She's only just 1 and it was scary. I'll looks into the poxclin, thanks for the recommendation.

Hope you're managing to have a good half term now.

buzzbottom Wed 14-Feb-18 13:08:47

How is she now?

My DD is okay now, all scabbed up! So ready for half term to be over though haha!

GrumpyOldBagFace Wed 14-Feb-18 13:43:36

I think she peaked last night! She looks like shit and she tired, off her food, tearful but not constantly crying in pain now.

I'd love a massive glass of wine tonight but I don't want to risk it incase she take a turn for the worse again! Roll on the weekend and then back to work for a rest!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now