Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fruity breath?

(5 Posts)
confusednorthner Tue 13-Feb-18 17:15:06

Ds 9 has episodes of fruity breath which has previously worried me but gp said it's when he's having a growth spurt. Today it's awful and he's eaten a decent meal just 3 hours ago and had a snack so assuming it can't be him burning fat?

dressinggowndressingdown Tue 13-Feb-18 18:22:56

What do you think is going on?

On the last occasions was he unwell/Viral?

Janek Tue 13-Feb-18 18:30:27

Isn't fruity breath a symptom of diabetes. I would speak to a doctor if i were you.

confusednorthner Tue 13-Feb-18 18:35:21

Not unwell at all, I queried diabetes but they tested his blood and said it was fine. I've just used one of my dads old blood sugars meters to test him and it was 4.6 before food so think that's ok....

dressinggowndressingdown Tue 13-Feb-18 18:42:54

Keep an eye on it, have a read of ketotic Hypoglycaemia-not uncommon in children, most often when unwell/tired/viral or if not eaten enough carbs for the amount of exercise/energy output they have done.

Other symptoms that can go along with that are dizzy, irritable, greyish looking - but some children go low without obvious symptoms- but the pear drop breath can be a symptom too -

Maybe just keep a diary for a while and if it increase or other symptoms see GP.

It may also be a symptom of diabetes, so just be aware of symptoms-tired, thirsty, losing weight (Thinner) & increasingly going to the loo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now